What is a Windows partition, and should I make one?

bubaduba

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Hello everybody,

I would like to know what is a windows partition, especially when doing a fresh windows 10 install, and what is it good for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Solution

A windows partition is basically a blocked off part of your Hard Drive where windows install files are kept mostly safe. Most prebuilts come with it so that users don't have to buy a new key when installing windows. If you don't have one than you probably didn't buy your PC with windows. I don't know how to make a partition but it'd be much easier to make a bootable thumb drive with windows OS install files and keep it separate from your PC. Thats what I did when my prebuilt's partition became corrupted and I had to buy a new version of windows.
You are not too clear. "Windows Partition" is any partition windows are installed to. It and couple of other partitions are created during Windows installation. During install you will have opportunity to create that partition of any size you want. How big is disk you are installing windows to ?

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015

A windows partition is basically a blocked off part of your Hard Drive where windows install files are kept mostly safe. Most prebuilts come with it so that users don't have to buy a new key when installing windows. If you don't have one than you probably didn't buy your PC with windows. I don't know how to make a partition but it'd be much easier to make a bootable thumb drive with windows OS install files and keep it separate from your PC. Thats what I did when my prebuilt's partition became corrupted and I had to buy a new version of windows.

Solution
If it's new or empty HDD/SSD all you have to do is start installation from USB/DVD and it will make partitions as needed and number or type of partitions are determined by type of BIOS, MBR (Legacy BIOS) or GPT (UEFI/EFI). You can make additional partitions during installation or after if needed.
Now Fo usability of smaller "Windows" partition, if you have a large HDD/SSD, you can make smaller partition just for Windows and another partition/s use for storing data, personal stuff like pictures, music films. That way if anything goes wrong with Windows, you can repair/reinstall them without loosing any of that data. To my thinking and that's how I used to do it when using only one disk only for above reason.
In any case you'll end up with several partitions used by windows.

TRENDING THREADS