[SOLVED] What is actually " remembered" by my bank?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
When I log in my online banking site with Windows 10 and internet explorer, after successful login, the
site will ask me if this computer should be remembered so that I don't need to receive SMS with verification
code the next time I log in.

I'd like to know what is actually "remembered" if I check to let them remember my computer.

If I copy those "remembered" elements to another computer or reinstall windows on the same computer
without any hardware change, will I be able to bypass SMS verification after successful login?

Solution
My story sounds wired and hard to explain in details but the fact is my phone card
connected to my online banking is damaged and my phone card and bank account
is located in my neighboring country but our border is closed now due to the virus,
I'm unable to travel to the border and have my phone issue fixed. Luckily I checked
"remember this computer" a few months before so I am now able to login with only
password and without receiving any SMS verification. I am thinking if re-installation
of windows on this computer will make my computer look like a new one and they will
require me to receive SMS code
Update your bank to a new phone number for two factor authentication.
What is remembered by the bank is a cookie ID that is...

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
My story sounds wired and hard to explain in details but the fact is my phone card
is located in my neighboring country but our border is closed now due to the virus,
I'm unable to travel to the border and have my phone issue fixed. Luckily I checked
"remember this computer" a few months before so I am now able to login with only
password and without receiving any SMS verification. I am thinking if re-installation
of windows on this computer will make my computer look like a new one and they will

kanewolf

Titan
Update your bank to a new phone number for two factor authentication.
What is remembered by the bank is a cookie ID that is stored on your PC.
A new Windows install will make the PC look like a new one.

Solution

Latest posts