What is an AI PC and do you actually need one?

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
There's only one AI I am interested in: fully offline, customizable, trainable, and reproduceable. If it's pinging servers or doing AI work on data centers, then it's inefficient, not offline, and not trainable. I want to own my own AI, not use someone else's work.

USAFRet

Titan
There's only one AI I am interested in: fully offline, customizable, trainable, and reproduceable. If it's pinging servers or doing AI work on data centers, then it's inefficient, not offline, and not trainable. I want to own my own AI, not use someone else's work.
Unfortunately, that is what AI is trained on...everyone elses work.
Unless you have a copy of the entire internet, and update it continually, what you seek can't be done.

ThomasKinsley

Prominent
Oct 4, 2023
Unfortunately, that is what AI is trained on...everyone elses work.
Unless you have a copy of the entire internet, and update it continually, what you seek can't be done.
Ambiguous wording on my part. I meant someone else's restrictions. AI today will say it can't do something for you because you crossed a theoretical line that its corporation drew. I want my AI to be unfiltered or to have the filters that I set.

Reactions: ivan_vy

USAFRet

Titan
Ambiguous wording on my part. I meant someone else's restrictions. AI today will say it can't do something for you because you crossed a theoretical line that its corporation drew. I want my AI to be unfiltered or to have the filters that I set.
And some of those corporate filters and restrictions have been circumvented, to produce some truly horrendous results.

Out in the wild, people will be asshats.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
AI PCs are what Microsoft needs you to have because they are not yet showing you enough advertisements.

You need to see more advertisements inside of Windows OS. AI will further allow them to do that.

Thanks Microsoft!

Last edited:

ivan_vy

Respectable
Apr 22, 2022
I'm a crappy artist and a lazy writer, I want to train my own AI bot to help me churn and complete my own work with my ideas as basis.

Reactions: ThomasKinsley

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
Has anyone seen online what all these hardware component vendors are saying an AI PC is? No one has the same response, and somehow now any component can be an AI component necessary to make a PC an "AI PC", e.g. AI PSU's, AI RAM, AI SSD's, and so on.

It truly shows that AI has gone beyond being a tech buzzword, somehow become an extremely marketable, dollar-grabbing married two letters with absolutely no humility. It's embarrassing to see how aggressively it is marketed, some surprising and others certainly not. It's like snake oil's ultimate baby, lmao!

So for me, anyone asking "what is an AI PC" requires another question to get any kind of narrowed-down answer: "An AI PC by who's definition?" The PC doesn't belong to any one organization, so naturally, the answers are as broad as the PC ecosystem is. The only thing for certain is that it's a marketing term, at least today and probably through the rest of this year.

BTW, the author didn't seem to clarify on NPU TOPS and total system TOPS.

Latest posts