What is appwiz.cpl ?

After some update or other on my w2k system I see a shortcut called
"set program access and defaults" which points to appwiz.cpl on my
start menu. I'm afraid to run it or delete it. Searching the MS KB
doesn't tell me much.

It's also on my XP system.

Wazzit do ?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

appwiz.cpl is apparently the component of the control panel that is
Add/Remove Programs. Going to that window should bring up the
add/remove programs window. It sounds like you just installed SP4 on a
w2k system. I never really figured out why they included that part of
the service pack but what I think it does is make it so when you click
on email links or do other things which then would normally open up OE
or outlook or windows media player etc. it gives you the option of
setting another programs as the default for this. Now that I think
about it it might be in relation to the recent monopoly battles they
were in and any concessions that had to be made. anyway don't stress
the appwiz.cpl thing scan it with Antivirus of your choice to be sure.

> After some update or other on my w2k system I see a shortcut called
> "set program access and defaults" which points to appwiz.cpl on my
> start menu. I'm afraid to run it or delete it. Searching the MS KB
> doesn't tell me much.
>
> It's also on my XP system.
>
> Wazzit do ?
>
> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

If you type appwiz.cpl in the Start>run box, you will get "Add or Remove
Programs" applelet used in the Control Panel.

--
William

Set Program Access and Defaults feature is available in Windows XP SP1 and
above (Windows 2000 SP4 and above, I think)

Ref:
http://www.google.com/search?q=Set+Program+Access+and+Defaults+site:support.microsoft.com

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP