What is "AV" hard drive ?

G

I'm looking for a hard drive for video editing . And I heard
there is a "AV" type hard drive which is made for video editing( especially DV to PC ).What is the difference with
IDE/ATA hard drive ? How about the price ? Is it really works well during video compression ?

Thanks

FatBurger

Illustrious
Where did you hear that? Most likely it's not an 'AV' type hard drive, but in reality a 'BS' type of hard drive.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

i think usually AV hard drives have larger caches to help with large sequential reads and writes. check seagates site i believe they have some more info there.

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away

FatBurger

Illustrious
Can a drive be modified for A/V applications?

Current generation Seagate SCSI drives have an embedded servo, so there is no thermal recalibration to interrupt the data flow. The high internal transfer rates, along with the default settings on data prefetch may make the drives sufficient for many A/V applications with no further "tuning".

If desired, the performance can be further enhanced by:

Increasing the cache buffer segment size, which will maximize the data prefetch feature of the drive

Turning off error logging (S.M.A.R.T.)

Turning off or limiting retries in case of data errors

Doesn't look like there is such a thing as AV drives, or they wouldn've mentioned them.

-----------------

G

Thanks man,

I think A/V application hard drive is the one I'm looking
for .
As to the "Could normal IDE hard drive upgrade to A/V application one ?" you mention , how many cache I should install & what kind of cache ?

Thanks again

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ok, I'm not being clear. There is no such thing as an A/V hard drive. Trust me on this, I'm a full-time computer nerd and part-time sound guy.

Anyhow I don't know where you got the "upgrade to A/V application one" thing, I never said that.

What Seagate is talking about is that their high-end SCSI drives are sufficient for A/V applications. It's like saying that an F-15 would get you to work on time. Of course it would, but so would a Pinto (you'd have to leave a little earlier, of course). See what I mean?

Just get a good IDE hard drive. Save yourself the hassle. Or get a couple and put them in a RAID 0.
40gig IBM 60GXPs can be had for $104 on <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">PriceWatch</A>.

-----------------

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
There is no such thing as an A/V hard drive. Trust me on this, I'm a full-time computer nerd and part-time sound guy.

For a full time computer nerd you don't know squat, or you're a young computer nerd. There are such things as AV drives that have larger caches and a quicker continuous transfer mode, however these where only appropriate pre UDMA 33/ULTRA Wide SCSI days.

With the speed of current drives any UDMA 66 or UDMA 100 drive will match the performance of the AV drives you used to have pay lots extra for.

--------------------------------

Look at the size of that thing!

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Not anything worth buying, but they do exist, they're just about as useful as a pentium 66

G

Thanks guys,

I got a little bit clear now .

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Benjamin_Tsai on 07/31/01 01:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Agreed, you seemed to be denying their total existence in your first post

G

"V" type hard disk. not "AV" per se but how fussy are we getting?

<A HREF="http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1247,902,00.html" target="_new">http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1247,902,00.html</A>

i had a drink the other day... opinions were like kittens i was givin' away<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DeSilentio on 07/31/01 10:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Sorry, with 25-50 posts a day, at least one of them has to be confusing as hell :)

<A HREF="http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1247,902,00.html" target="_new">Click</A>

-----------------

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
there was never a pentuim 66
at 66 the chip was a 486 chip

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

>>there was never a pentuim 66
at 66 the chip was a 486 chip<<

There certainly was.. A P5 P60 and P66. Original Pentium Socket 4.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i wish i would of knew that back then when i got a 486 dx 66 i think a pentuim 66 would hsve been a little better

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red><font color=green> Can be a lot of fun</font color=green> :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

Ohh I wouldn't feel so bad.. except for some x86 extension instruction sets and branch perdiction.. it wasn't that much different. Probably hard to tell the difference on DOS software at the time. And you'd a just paid more

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***