What is b3, gen3? also, some doubts about p8z68-m-pro and v-le

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmost

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hi again!
I am building a system for 2600k and got worried about motherboard.I am planningto buy a Asus mobo with z68 chipset. The v-pro gets expensive for me.so I thought I would better go with v-le or m-pro. And I have some doubts regarding it.

1. what does b3 and gen3 mean? Are they both same? What losses i will be having if i do not go for them? Is there any relation between ivy bridge and b3 thing?

1.5. What exactly is the "couger" point issue?

2.v-le and m-pro supports crossfire, but do they support sli? Also, will i be able to run a single nvidia/ati card with its fullest on it?

3.which motherboards are ivy bridge compatible? Please be exact.

4.is it true that nvidia works better with Intel, while ati with amd?

And guys..please suggest me a good mobo, if there is any other.in my region, there are Asus and Intel available.
Sorry for all those awful shortcuts..i am typing this from my mobile (optimus one).
Waiting eagerly..

Solution
LGA 1155:

1. B2 (bad and recalled P67/H67 chipset), B3 updated Chipset with SATA2 'fix', and GEN3 referrs to the PCIe revision in this case PCIe 3.x 'switches'.

1.5. Cougar Point refers to the 'current' LGA 1155 Chipsets, and the 'issue' was the Intel's recall of the B2 series. Upcoming with Ivy Bridge CPU are the Panther Point. Ref - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#5.2F6.2F7_Series_chipsets

2. Both the ASUS P8Z68-V LE (full ATX) and ASUS P8Z68-M Pro (micro ATX) are basic Z68's that do not support SLI, and with (x16, x4) aren't a good candidates with CF either. You want x16, x8/x8 for SLI and CF.

3. To date all of the current Cougar Point (e.g. P67 or Z68) will support the Ivy Bridge, but only if the MOBO...
LGA 1155:

1. B2 (bad and recalled P67/H67 chipset), B3 updated Chipset with SATA2 'fix', and GEN3 referrs to the PCIe revision in this case PCIe 3.x 'switches'.

1.5. Cougar Point refers to the 'current' LGA 1155 Chipsets, and the 'issue' was the Intel's recall of the B2 series. Upcoming with Ivy Bridge CPU are the Panther Point. Ref - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#5.2F6.2F7_Series_chipsets

2. Both the ASUS P8Z68-V LE (full ATX) and ASUS P8Z68-M Pro (micro ATX) are basic Z68's that do not support SLI, and with (x16, x4) aren't a good candidates with CF either. You want x16, x8/x8 for SLI and CF.

3. To date all of the current Cougar Point (e.g. P67 or Z68) will support the Ivy Bridge, but only if the MOBO manufacturer offers a BIOS update to include the 22nm IB CPUs; proper CPUID (BIOS CPU info) is required.

4. False, both ATI/AMD and nVidia GPU's work fine on Intel, and typically better than their AMD MOBO counter parts.

I don't know your 'region', but I typically recommend either the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 or Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD5 with the SB 'K' CPU's (i5-2500K/i7-2600K) for improved OC'ing with lower vCore's and stability.

Solution

mmost

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks jaquith. I am a little bit suspicious about gen3. I am going to buy P8Z68-V/GEN3.
And, I am planning to buy GTX560Ti, Will it be FULLY compatible with that mobo?
Also, what will be the disadvantages of that mobo?

Yes, PCIe 3.x is fully backwards compatible with PCIe 2.x and PCIe 1.x, and no gain or loss.

The vanilla/non-Pro ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 supports SLI/CF, 12 Phases, and for most folks is perfectly fine. In comparison to the 'Pro' model it lacks extra Marvell SATA3 ports and FireWire IEEE 1394a.

ref - http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68VGEN3/#specifications

This might help:
feature15.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.