[SOLVED] What is best for gaming 8 threads or 16 threads?

May 30, 2020
I wonder what is best for gaming? An 8 core 8 threads or and 8 core 16 threads? Can more threads make it worse or can it just do stuff better? Like can it be more bad than it is good? I thought of buying this Intel Core i7-9700F Processor buy then I saw this Intel Core i7-10700 Processor and wonder which was best, the Intel Core i7-10700 Processor have 8 cores and 16 threads and the Core i7-9700F Processor have 8 cores and 8 threads wich is best? The Core i7-9700F Processor is a 9th gen and the Core i7-10700 Processor is a 10th gen.

Solution
You're welcome.

If you can afford 32GB ram (2x 16GB for dual channel performance), id shoot for this amount rather than buy 16GB now and run the risk of having issues mixing ram later. 16GB is an ok amount but 32 would be a wiser investment heading into the future. That's if you can afford it of course. Speeds of 3200 or 3600 CL16 on a Z board would be good. Whichever board you get, check it's maximum memory speed it can support based on chipset, ie H410, B460 and Z490. The latter supporting the highest.

Also make sure your case has good air flow, intakes and exhaust fans to move air efficiently. 🙂
Thee hyperthreaded 10700 will, in a worst case scenario, perform about the same as the straight 8 core 9700f.

I can't think of a single scenario where the extra interleaved threads will make it worse.

It also has an integrated GPU (which is an unnecessary bonus in a gaming rig but can make any kind of future troubleshooting easier).
It also has a slightly more solid all core boost configuration.

I can't think of a single reason to go with the 9700f unless you can get it 'considerably' cheaper in all honesty.

Bear in mind these are completely different chipsets now, you need a h410/b460/z490 for the 10700

B365/z390 to be safe with the 9700f.

Pricing may affect your decision more than anything else.

Also consider ryzen if you're not aiming for 144htz+ AAA gaming, the value tends to be better in all respects.

Reactions: Xamentle

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hyperthreading helps minimise command delay as another can start before the last command finishes improving overall performance. Modern games benefit and you can always turn HT off if a game runs better, ie CSGO. There aren't many games where HT hurts performance and if there are, it'll be most likely old games dating a decade ago.

Improvements not only for games but for multitasking/streaming too. AMD has SMT on most of their processors and it's about time Intel did the same.

May 30, 2020
Thee hyperthreaded 10700 will, in a worst case scenario, perform about the same as the straight 8 core 9700f.

I can't think of a single scenario where the extra interleaved threads will make it worse.

It also has an integrated GPU (which is an unnecessary bonus in a gaming rig but can make any kind of future troubleshooting easier).
It also has a slightly more solid all core boost configuration.

I can't think of a single reason to go with the 9700f unless you can get it 'considerably' cheaper in all honesty.

Bear in mind these are completely different chipsets now, you need a h410/b460/z490 for the 10700

B365/z390 to be safe with the 9700f.

Pricing may affect your decision more than anything else.

Also consider ryzen if you're not aiming for 144htz+ AAA gaming, the value tends to be better in all respects.

The thing is that in Sweden on the website I will buy my whole computer the motherboard and the hyperthreaded 10700 is cheaper to buy so it will be cheaper and better thank you so much

Reactions: madmatt30
May 30, 2020
Hyperthreading helps minimise command delay as another can start before the last command finishes improving overall performance. Modern games benefit and you can always turn HT off if a game runs better, ie CSGO. There aren't many games where HT hurts performance and if there are, it'll be most likely old games dating a decade ago.

Improvements not only for games but for multitasking/streaming too. AMD has SMT on most of their processors and it's about time Intel did the same.

I thought that must be the case thank you so much, got a bit of panic there, but yeah I try to build a computer that will hold up as good as possible for the future, and I want it to hold upp as good as possible to the most demanding games, considering my budget was around 16 k (Swedish money that's a bit more than 1,600 dollars) I try to choose as wisely I can, to try to get the best performing gear for the money, and that they are safe consideration for the future gaming. I thank all of you for the help you have given me.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju
May 30, 2020
Yeah I have one more question I will have an RTX 2060 Super in my computer, and it needs 550 watts but I have a 700 watts supply is it to much or should I have more? Because I want to be able to overclock both CPU and GPU at max overclock should I have more then or is it enough?

May 30, 2020
You're onto a win/win here if the 10700 combo is actually cheaper. That's an incredibly easy decision now (y)

Yeah I thought so to it is no doubt that I go with the 10700 then, because the CPU costs a bit more 10 dollars but the motherboard save me a bit more than 50 dollar so at the end I save a bit more then 40 dollars something like that at least so it is just a win win to buy that one, I say a bit more then 50, 10 and 40 dollars because the swedish money and the dollar isn't exactly an 10 or something in difference so I cant really just add an 0 or take away an 0 to get the money to have same value.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome.

If you can afford 32GB ram (2x 16GB for dual channel performance), id shoot for this amount rather than buy 16GB now and run the risk of having issues mixing ram later. 16GB is an ok amount but 32 would be a wiser investment heading into the future. That's if you can afford it of course. Speeds of 3200 or 3600 CL16 on a Z board would be good. Whichever board you get, check it's maximum memory speed it can support based on chipset, ie H410, B460 and Z490. The latter supporting the highest.

Also make sure your case has good air flow, intakes and exhaust fans to move air efficiently. 🙂

Solution
May 30, 2020
You're welcome.

How did you know I had 16 gb? So if I am thinking right, the higher the MHz is on the faster ram? I have 2666 MHz on mine here's a link: https://www.komplett.se/product/113...r4-2666mhz-16gb?offerId=KOMPLETT-312-1138822#
Also thanks I will check the chassi airflow but, so if I buy a ram on 64 they don't need to be sold in same package just be the same ram to be as you said mixing ram, so I don't mix if they are the same product? Or must they be sold in like the same package?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How did you know I had 16 gb? So if I am thinking right, the higher the MHz is on the faster ram? I have 2666 MHz on mine here's a link: https://www.komplett.se/product/113...r4-2666mhz-16gb?offerId=KOMPLETT-312-1138822#

Man wouldn't that be awesome if i were psychic lol. Na, was just assuming if you needed ram, didn't know you had some already. 2666 is fine. Regarding motherboards, the Z series support higher speed modules. The other chipset (H410 & B460) support up to 2933 which isn't a problem in your case. But if you want to run faster memory at some point or overclock cpu, Z490 is recommended. If you are planning on overclocking cpu, get the K version as it's multiplier is unlocked.

700w is fine IF the psu is good quality. If it's getting long in the tooth, 5+ years, might want to think about replacing it. Corsair and Seasonic to name a couple at least Gold rated. Higher quality units go on under Platinum then onward to Titanium but can cost an arm and possibly a leg too. Gold is fine.

Remember, modular psu cables aren't interchangeable. If you ever replace a modular psu, all cables, ATX, 12V, Sata (data cables are fine to reuse, just the sata power cable), PCie cables must all be replaced with cables the new psu comes with. Pinouts aren't standardized between brands and positive/negative pins from psu side of the cable can be in different spots increasing the chances of seeing a spectacular light show:)

Personally I think 2 x 8gb is fine if primarily for gaming use, it'll be a long time before anything more becomes a necessity.

Regarding psu, you actually have a 700w psu at present??
If so I'd ask what model it is exactly??

PSU quality is more important than listed wattage.

Those components could be run on a GOOD quality 500w psu easily.

If you are making a purchase of a new psu then this is what I'd go for based on availibility , price, and quality

https://www.komplett.se/product/113...gat/nataggregat/seasonic-core-gm-650-650w-psu

The 10700 is locked, you won't be over clocking it anyway - and you honestly don't need to - it has a 4.6ghz all core boost clock, overclocking is pretty pointless anyway.

Reactions: boju
May 30, 2020
Man wouldn't that be awesome if i were psychic lol. Na, was just assuming if you needed ram, didn't know you had some already. 2666 is fine. Regarding motherboards, the Z series support higher speed modules. The other chipset (H410 & B460) support up to 2933 which isn't a problem in your case. But if you want to run faster memory at some point or overclock cpu, Z490 is recommended. If you are planning on overclocking cpu, get the K version as it's multiplier is unlocked.

700w is fine IF the psu is good quality. If it's getting long in the tooth, 5+ years, might want to think about replacing it. Corsair and Seasonic to name a couple at least Gold rated. Higher quality units go on under Platinum then onward to Titanium but can cost an arm and possibly a leg too. Gold is fine.

Remember, modular psu cables aren't interchangeable. If you ever replace a modular psu, all cables, ATX, 12V, Sata (data cables are fine to reuse, just the sata power cable), PCie cables must all be replaced with cables the new psu comes with. Pinouts aren't standardized between brands and positive/negative pins from psu side of the cable can be in different spots increasing the chances of seeing a spectacular light show:)

Personally I think 2 x 8gb is fine if primarily for gaming use, it'll be a long time before anything more becomes a necessity.

Regarding psu, you actually have a 700w psu at present??
If so I'd ask what model it is exactly??

PSU quality is more important than listed wattage.

Those components could be run on a GOOD quality 500w psu easily.

If you are making a purchase of a new psu then this is what I'd go for based on availibility , price, and quality

https://www.komplett.se/product/113...gat/nataggregat/seasonic-core-gm-650-650w-psu

The 10700 is locked, you won't be over clocking it anyway - and you honestly don't need to - it has a 4.6ghz all core boost clock, overclocking is pretty pointless anyway.

Yeah thank you so much both I have upgraded my ram to 3200 MHz instead of 2666MHz same brand not much more expensive some amount of ram 16 GB but PSU I was worried about because it doesn't seem to be a good brand I rather take Corsair but I have an RTX 2060 Super if I not have said that yet, so do you think that 550 is enough considering that the required PSU watt is 550 or should I go a bit higher with higher cost and get 650? Or do you think it will be enough anyways because it says that the power it uses when the GPU is operating is 175 watts so what should I listen to or is 175 just when it is operating without doing any processes or what? I get so confused, because am I wrong when I think that I should have more power capacity on the PSU than the GPU has when it not is overclocked? I am so great ful for all the help you guys have gave me! :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's usually not much price difference between 550 to 650w, like 10~15bucks or there abouts. Id go for 650w to be comfortable.

Corsair RMx 650w would be good. Seasonic Focus Gold or Seasonic Core series (Successor to their Focus series) are decent too.

May 30, 2020
There's usually not much price difference between 550 to 650w, like 10~15bucks or there abouts. Id go for 650w to be comfortable.

Corsair RMx 650w would be good. Seasonic Focus Gold or Seasonic Core series (Successor to their Focus series) are decent too.

Ahh okey I looked on the Corsair RMx 650w I probably buy that one or something like that, thank you so much for the help, but just wonder that going on the edge of the the required power isn't an good idea right? Then you just get underpowered right?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
550w would be enough with a little overclock on a decent psu. 2060's 550w requirement is an estimate for the whole system and usually a little inflated by Nvidia to make sure adequate wattage is behind the system.

If you upgrade gpu in future requiring more power or add more drives, Id feel more comfortable with a 650w psu.

If a psu's power draw is reaching limits then the power generated by the unit becomes less efficient and can potentially cause instability for itself and components connected to it.

The seasonic core 650w I listed would give you close to 300w 'spare', this is a good thing, you lose slightly on efficiency at those kind of loads but beneficial gains are psu lifespan, lower fan noise, lower running temperature and upgradability.
The rmx 650 IS a slightly better psu but is 33% more expensive so the choice is yours there.

Either of those are absolutely fine though and very good quality.

3200 gskill ripjaw is actually cheaper than your initial 2666mhz ram choice too.

https://www.komplett.se/product/101.../minne/gskill-ripjaws-v-ddr4-16gb-kit-3200mhz

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Missed edit about mixing ram. Ram sold as kits are tested between them, like testing siblings for compatibility 😊. Materials used in making chips can differ over time and ram can be pretty sensitive.

Doesn't mean mixing won't work though. It hasn't gone well for some and others just fine.

Locked TDP,that will cause each core to get less power because the TDP will be divided by more logical cores so each core will run at lower clocks.

Also if a game decides to send its heaviest threads to the fastest cores it might send two main threads to one single core which might reduce the amount of IPC compared to the threads running one on one core each.

May 30, 2020

I took the Corsair RMx 650 watts, because exactly as you said it is almost no difference in price, and it is also semi modular, so that is a good thing also.

May 30, 2020

I took the Corsair RMx 650 watts, because exactly as you said it is almost no difference in price, and it is also semi modular, so that is a good thing also.

May 30, 2020
So
Locked TDP,that will cause each core to get less power because the TDP will be divided by more logical cores so each core will run at lower clocks.

Also if a game decides to send its heaviest threads to the fastest cores it might send two main threads to one single core which might reduce the amount of IPC compared to the threads running one on one core each.

So should I go for a 8 thread or 16 thread? Or can the 16 thread cause more performance issue than it gives better performance?

InvalidError

Titan
So should I go for a 8 thread or 16 thread? Or can the 16 thread cause more performance issue than it gives better performance?
Although some games have higher average and peak FPS with SMT off (8c8t), most have better 1% and 0.1% lows (less stutter) with SMT on (8c16t) so having a CPU with SMT is usually better overall. For heavily multi-threaded workloads, SMT is also 25-40% faster.