Question What is best software win 10 to check for errors on Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGMcCallie

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
What is best windows 10 compatable software to check ssd and Hd for errors and then either correct them or mark sector as bad so it can't be used? Free would be better

TGMcCallie

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
The 2 Hard Drives at 2TB WDigital which carry a 2 year warranty. They have not been in service but 11 months and 1 has been replaced 3 times already and the other one has been replaced 2 times. They are being used for backup drives and when they get to about 24GB of data they hang up.

I will run chkdsp with fix and see if that helps, if not I will demand a refund as I have swapped them out too much already. I have always gotten good service with Western Digital but looks like thier
drives are not what they used to be. They would always replace them with a reconditioned one that would be dead upon arrival. I demanded new drives and not reconditioned ones less than 3 months ago and now they are hanging up also just like all the others.

Everything I check with them always show that they are good. I get hardware corrupted when backing with Acronis True Image.

WD has several levels of hard drives. The Blue ones are the cheapest and are what usually comes in new PCs. The Black ones are the highest in quality and come with a 5 year warranty. When I bought a 1 TB Black HDD some months ago, it cost about 50% more than the Blue ones, but was worth it to me to know that it was built to last.

TGMcCallie

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have run chkdsk xx: /f /r /x on 1 of the WD 2 TB and no errors were found, everything was OK. I will be running it on the other one tomorrow. I hope it checks out OK. I have always had good luck with
WD blue drives until these 2. I have a SanDisk 480 GB that was doing the same thing and it checked out with no errors with chkdsk also. It could have been the Acronis even though it is working fine
after I reinstalled it.

Thanks to all for your help. I have bought my last blue WD and will probably try their black or purple. I have their purple drive in my Security Camera system and not had a bit of a problem with it and it has been running full time for 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.