Question What is better, 2 x 8bs sticks with 1 being slower or the faster ram alone??

May 25, 2020
I've been running those 2 ram sticks together for 6 months now: View: https://imgur.com/xkmXn9Q

I just found out what xmp is but I can't turn it on cz 1 ram is slower than the other. What option gives better fps for gaming:
Option 1: keep the 2 x 8gbs resulting in 16 gbs but running at a slower speed.
Option 2: discard the slower one and enable xmp on the fast one resulting in 8 gbs running at a faster speed? Sorry I'm kind of a noob when it comes to pc stuff.

kanewolf

Titan
I've been running those 2 ram sticks together for 6 months now: View: https://imgur.com/xkmXn9Q

I just found out what xmp is but I can't turn it on cz 1 ram is slower than the other. What option gives better fps for gaming:
Option 1: keep the 2 x 8gbs resulting in 16 gbs but running at a slower speed.
Option 2: discard the slower one and enable xmp on the fast one resulting in 8 gbs running at a faster speed? Sorry I'm kind of a noob when it comes to pc stuff.
You are lucky if the two DIMMs play nice with each other at all. they have very different pre-programmed clock profiles. DDR3 is more forgiving. If you can get them to run at 666Mhz. I would call it good. You might be able to manually set 800Mhz and get them to behave. You will just have to experiment.

May 25, 2020
You are lucky if the two DIMMs play nice with each other at all. they have very different pre-programmed clock profiles. DDR3 is more forgiving. If you can get them to run at 666Mhz. I would call it good. You might be able to manually set 800Mhz and get them to behave. You will just have to experiment.
I'm sorry I don't even know what DIMMs is lmfao, I had 2 x the same ram that is on the left which is the good G skill one but one of them got faulty and i ddnt know much about ram so I bought the second one and just put it there. Been using them together for 6 months without playing with any settings but recently figured out the stuff about speed and xmp and that they are running at the speed of the slowest one. Just wondering if removing the slow one and enabling xmp on the fast one would give me more fps. Can you please help?