What is better, AMD or Intel? Why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I am currently in the process of purchasing a new CPU for my computer as an upgrade (for gaming), and I am seeing quite the contrast in terms of views.

Some people are devoted AMD fans, whilst others are devoted Intel fans.

Why do I see people claim that an AMD 8-core processor is inferior to a high-end Intel i7 quad-core? Is it the quality of the processor from Intel, or... what? Is Intel the "Apple" of the CPU world, where you are merely paying for brand name instead of the actual quality?

I do not know as to what I wish to purchase to upgrade my system, but I know I want a processor that will last me five years.

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

I want to state that if tomshardware had a like function right now I would be spamming the like button till my mouse broke

wr6133

Feb 10, 2012

facepalm06.jpg

It's called humour

Crazy_Ivan55

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
The current sandy and ivy bridge cpu's from intel are usually quite a bit faster than phenom II's and the FX series. However, Intel usually cannot beat price/performance ratio in gaming under normal circumstances.

Are you serious? It was a j-o-k-e.

joke (jk)
n.
1. Something said or done to evoke laughter or amusement, especially an amusing story with a punch line.
2. A mischievous trick; a prank.
3. An amusing or ludicrous incident or situation.
4. Informal
a. Something not to be taken seriously; a triviality: The accident was no joke.
b. An object of amusement or laughter; a laughingstock: His loud tie was the joke of the office.

---

You seem to be the only one out of several people who took it so seriously.

Now, I'll give a semi-serious answer to this... post.. mainly because I see someone saying something about a forum-colleague of mine that isn't accurate,

DJDecibel, is actually very reasonable when it comes to AMD v Intel discussions. There certainly are plenty on these forums who are not. If you think hes the biggest fanboy you've ever seen, you haven't been here long enough. I've seen people post things like (paraphrased):

-----> "this is completely objective advice, AMD chips blow up and stuff because they're made so poorly",

----->Guy asks for a light gaming laptop he can also use for school work "oh you should get the one with the i5 w/ HD3000 (ignoring the fact that the A10 has the better graphics) because i5s execute instructions better" (also ignoring the fact that it doesn't take very much CPU power to run microsoft office 2010, or opening a web browser to research)

Just to give a few specific examples without names, you people know who you are.

-----------

As far of the rest of your post... ask me when I've had a few more drinks, I can decipher run-on sentences better drunk.

sunnk

Distinguished

yeah i have been in toms for short time:)i was regular before one year:)i got silver medal in graphic and display forum with in one month because of my good advice and everyone just like that:)i like to put too many smileys because i like it xD and i have never started argue with anyone he said me a fanboy first i was just giving my opinion not a fanboys opinion and yeah he behave like a biggest fanboy there because only a fanboy can do that what he did there "he called me a fanboy should i scream for that? lol" i like to play games in multiplayer most thats why i m not present every day here in toms but i like to share my opinion and experience here btw u drunk i m fine here:)

while playing game and doing some multitasking my fx 6100 never goes above 60-70% cpu usage and same with a fx 4100 of my freinds and i3 goves over 80% go try your self amd is best for price intel is best for gaming per core performance etc

How the heck are you the same age as me!? :heink:

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
AMD and Intel both have almost the same price to performance ratio. The difference is that AMD is cheaper for budget systems while Intel does much higher performance then AMD can offer but at a much higher price. In the middle at around $200 AMD and Intel are the same.

If your planning on spending less then $200 go with AMD.
If your planning on spending more then $200 go with Intel.
If your planning on spending $200 flip a coin.

socialfox

Distinguished

You and I are around the same age and anyways it may be helpful if you could post the smileys at the end of the post since it does get hard to decipher :lol: Anyways keep up the good work on the forums just try to be a bit reasonable in terms of these threads. I myself gave into intel for this thread even though I run a AMD processor.

czcina

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Not much of an expert myself, but I decided to go for AMD 8320 + H60 Kuhler. Price is VERY good(200$/165euro/130pounds!), performance good enough for me ( or should I say my graphic card ).

I'm not into benchmarking and finding out if my CPU would render picture in 7 or 8.2 seconds. Even if Intel is faster - I can wait those 2 extra seconds and save myself 100$. Games run without problems and the only thing that might slow me down now is my GTX 550 Ti.

Don't consider myself AMD fanboy - just like AMD's products. So far they never failed me... I still have my old Core 2 Duo btw.

InvalidError

Titan

Except if you use that new PC a lot and keep it for more than three years, you may end up paying much more than $100 in extra power and cooling over the PC's lifespan.

My computer is almost always on and almost always doing something. I will most likely end up keeping it 5+ years unless something blows up first. Over that timespan, going with AMD to "save" $100 could cost me over $300 extra in power.

People often talk about the cost of buying/building a PC but often forget the cost of actually using it.

czcina

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

Yeah, don't think that not many ppl here would keep the same spec for 5+ years. Like I said; I'm not an expert, but, more likely next year new CPU, year after that new CPU+Mobo, and repeat...

Loads of ppl already gave different benchmarks, stats, numbers etc., and I just wanted to say that for me, "amateur enthusiast" those numbers are just numbers :)
You are probably right with 5+ years = 300$, but you have to say that you will "feel" it more when you have to spend 100-200$ at once, rather than 5+ years ...

Take care!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Well lets see...

Between the i5 3570K and the AMD FX-8350...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/the-vishera-review-amd-fx8350-fx8320-fx6300-and-fx4300-tested

These tend to be important and/or frequent uses for a Computer system:

Winzip? AMD FX-8350
Javascript? i5 3570K
Office Productivity? i5 3570K
Media Creation? i5 3570K
Web Development? i5 3570K
Data/Financial Analysis? AMD FX-8350
3D Modeling? AMD FX-8350
PAR2 File Recovery for Usenet Content? AMD FX-8350
x264 HD Transcoding? AMD FX-8350
Visual Studio and Programming Compiling? i5 3570K
Photoshop? i5 3570K
Professional POV-Ray CPU 3D Rendering? AMD FX-8350
3D Gaming? i5 3570K
Power Consumption? i5 3570K (as the AMD FX-8350 consumes almost twice the power under heavy system loads)

Overall: AMD- 6 Intel- 8

Verdict? Well what are you planning to use your system for? Overall doesn't matter for most people.

If it is predominantly for 3D Gaming, as you mentioned in your post, then not only will the i5 3570K provide a better experience overall but also at a reduced power consumption rate. Depending on how often you game you might even make that money back (the extra 20 you're paying) within a years time in lower power costs.

Don't get me wrong, the AMD FX-8350 is actually a really nice CPU but it's just not going to provide you with the better experience considering your 3D Gaming habit. That is unless you do a heck of a lot of Transcoding of x264 HD content (or any other area the AMD FX-8350 shines).

Could you be more specific about your computing habits?

$300 extra in electricity 5 years? Unless your computer is under full load for that entire time (computers almost never go rock and roll full usage unless, well you're running a program like Prime 95 to make it do so).. What is your computer almost always doing? Downloading? Uses practically no CPU power. Practially, you might break even on that $100 you "saved" in a few years, but exceed it? No.

InvalidError

Titan

Desktop performance used to double every ~18 months but once both AMD and Intel hit the ~3.5GHz brick wall, things have been almost frozen in time.

If you look at CPUs on a year-on-year basis, you are looking at less than 15% improvement per year which is not really worth bothering with to most people. On an every-other-year basis, you are looking at ~25%, which is not really going to make or break anything for most people. At the every-third-year pace, we are now talking about 40-50% which is starting to sound somewhat worth looking into.

Personally, anything less than 100% is not really worth considering and at the current pace, this is now 5-6 years. People on these forums might not keep their PCs around that long but people in general likely will unless something (usually the cheap OEM PSU) blows up first.

Eh, I'll probably drop a Steamroller 8 core on my board when it comes out, yea it probably won't be 40 percent improvement over my Phenom II, but I've been giving myself mild kicks in my own butt every now and then for not starting out with an 1100T in the first place. So, its not a big loss. Not that I even really need the extra cores, but its a "Because I can" thing.