[SOLVED] What is better, CX650M or ASUS 550B?

Apr 27, 2022
Hello. I'm building my first PC from scratch and haven't bought anything yet. The problem is that I´m not sure which PSU I should get. I was thinking of a Corsair CX650M gray label or an Asus TUF 550B, which is more expensive. I'll probably pair it with a RX 6500 XT and a Ryzen 5 5600.

I'd like to know which one I should buy. Or if they aren't good enough. Although, as GPU prices are going down, maybe I'll get a RX 6600. Would they be OK in that case?Take into account that I'm from Argentina and it's difficult to buy from another country because of the importation taxes.

Thank you

Solution
The Asus is unknown to me. I did find this online. (reddit, so who knows...)

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ko2sx6/is_this_psu_good/

Hard to say until there's a professional teardown and review. However, it's OEM is Greatwall, DC-DC platform, potentially very similar to the Greatwall produced Corsair CX model (good budget units). They've specced it for passive operation at low loads and provide a 6 year warranty. I'm not a fan of buying a PSU 'blind', but all signs point towards this being pretty decent.

Assuming this is true, and again, reddit..., they are probably similar units. The 550B does have a passive function which the CX doesn't have to my...

4745454b

Titan
The Asus is unknown to me. I did find this online. (reddit, so who knows...)

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/ko2sx6/is_this_psu_good/

Hard to say until there's a professional teardown and review. However, it's OEM is Greatwall, DC-DC platform, potentially very similar to the Greatwall produced Corsair CX model (good budget units). They've specced it for passive operation at low loads and provide a 6 year warranty. I'm not a fan of buying a PSU 'blind', but all signs point towards this being pretty decent.

Assuming this is true, and again, reddit..., they are probably similar units. The 550B does have a passive function which the CX doesn't have to my knowledge. The 550B probably has a newer platform with more protections which might matter to use. The CX650 however has more available power. Neither unit is awesome, nor is either unit a fire starter. If the 650W is cheaper I'd probably go with that one. Though having the newer platform would be nice.

Solution
Apr 27, 2022
Alright, I understand. The difference in price is really small. I only mentioned because it caught my attention that it was more expensive but with a lower wattage.
Do you think that 550w would be okay for the 6600? The AMD website reccomends 400w for the 6500 XT and 450w for the 6600 so I thought that maybe it was a bit short. I'm newbie for everything PC-related, but PSU are what I know the less about, so I'm a bit confused

4745454b

Titan
It's newer. So more expensive. Newer platforms tend to perform better, or have more features. I don't remember exactly, but going from memory the Grey CX is missing some protections which are now common. On a personal level I'm not sure either PSU is really "better" than the other. More so if I don't see a tear down on the 550B.