what is better firefox or google chrome?

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
From a technical standpoint, chrome tends to use more RAM and Firefox tends to use more CPU. Load times and webpage compatibility for both is very good.

From a usability standpoint, it is entirely dependent on your preference. I personally prefer Chrome's user interface, but that is just my personal opinion.

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I would say FireFox as it is open source and is very User friendly. With Chrome it just tracks you all the time and keeps asking for you to login and I would say you really don't need or want that.

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Chrome does spy on you, full stop. Its Google and Google is related to the NSA... No questions needed.

Google is a data mining company you know! Their core product is selling users targeted ads. As far as data mining they are a lesser evil version of facebook.

Fact is chrome is distributed by google as a proprietary binary blob. It is up to google to prove it is NOT spying, this is why the opensource chromium exists but who knows what is included in the google binary! BTW you are crazy if you think google does not track your browsing habits, snoop cookie details and for sure they have access to all your email, google plus, and google voice data.

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

100% Agree.

McHenryB

Admirable
So, I guess, the conclusion is that if you wear a tinfoil hat you should avoid Chrome (and don't download Firefox, IE, Safari, etc. as a binary from Ubuntu or others). But if you just want a lean, full-featured web browser have a look at Chrome.

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Or you just have common sense and know how the world is today; evil, messed up; cannot trust anyone; corrupt government and full of stupid people. People like you only bring out the "tinfoil" hat saying, that is all you have. Good luck in later life!

embers

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
To conclude all of this up, go read this article about Firefox vs Chrome; Firefox is better: http://www.zdnet.com/article/now-is-the-time-to-switch-back-to-firefox/

The summary: Firefox is the only major browser that is written to serve users and the open web, and it's now more than a match for Google Chrome. And the new Australis version, due later this month, could be a good time to make the switch.

Also this taken from the above link about privacy: The main reason for switching to Firefox is that, overall, it's better than Chrome. But there are other reasons. The most important is that Firefox is the only major browser that is written to serve users and the open web. Other leading browsers may sometimes do that, but their primary function is to serve the needs of giant corporations -- Apple, Google and Microsoft -- none of which has any interest in preserving your privacy. Usually the reverse, in fact.

Good day.

McHenryB

Admirable

Exactly. Trust no-one. Certainly don't trust the binary of Firefox that you download from Ubuntu any more than you trust the binary of Chrome that you download from Google.

The simple fact is that both of them are open source, so just compile your own version if you are paranoid. The rest is just a red herring.

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012

Maybe, if you're THAT concerned about trusting people, you should use Tor so that not even your ISP can see what you're doing.

Fact is, I really doubt the OP was asking about all this, they probably just want a fast, easy-to-use browser. For that function, my vote is with chrome, but REALLY the OP should try both, and see which one HE prefers.

I don't know how you can claim tinfoil hat when agencies like the NSA exist and a large data mining company like google has direct plain text access to your emails. It is not tinfoil hat when they tell you they are spying!

http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/
Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection. This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored.

BTW your comment about using binaries provided by the distrobution is a bit misleading. most repositories are set up in a way that makes binary reproducibility possible so assuming you trust the compiler not to do anything evil the binary produced by ubuntu compiling servers should be bit-bit the same as one produced by your machine. If you do not trust your distrobution then you should use a source based distrobution like gentoo. Of course if you are this far down the rabbit hole you might as well not trust the binary compiler and compile your own compiler. [warning the rabbit hole only goes deeper from here]

I choose to trust my distrobutions maintainers not to insert malacious code into their binaries. I do not trust google because very clearly in their privacy statement it says they spy on your data. FIrefox doesn't.

McHenryB

Admirable
Our automated systems analyze your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customized search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection.
Whether you think it is paranoid to worry about Google targeting advertising rather than putting up with advertisements for all sorts of crap that you are not interested in is, I guess, a matter of opinion. My opinion is that I am not paranoid, I do not wear a tinfoil hat, I get a very good service from search sites and free email and I am more than happy for the companies who provide me with these services to analyse my data to provide even better service.

Why worry about Google inspecting your data for this purpose and not worry about the fact that all of your data passes through your ISP? Do I trust Google not to be relaying my (entirely uninteresting) emails to the NSA, or even the NRA? Yes I do. I can't see that it would be a sensible business decision for them to do that, and I believe they are an eminently sensible business. Do I worry about the fact that some right-wing, homophobic idiot could end up running the people responsible for Firefox? Moot point. Do I trust the people who run Ubuntu? Not really, for a number of reasons. Do I use Gentoo? Yes, as a matter of fact I do, but not because I am worried about reds under the bed. Fact is, I have never inspected the Firefox code in enough detail to know everything that is in it - and I don't believe that you have either. Your supposed "openness" is as illusory as your belief that Google are in bed with the NSA or, in my case, GCHQ.

Life is full of risks. It's silly to ignore the real ones and worry about the imaginary ones. Frankly, you are a fool if you trust any sensitive, unencrypted information to the Internet.

I would still love to see WireShark log proving that. You want to imply that Opening a browser-agnostic site from Chrome, (IE, Safari) would produce traffic to Google/ Microsoft/Apple servers?

Again - unless you prove that, eveything else is just talking...

Don't take me wrong - I am not defending "The Big Brother", but when you insist on something, it will be better true.