What is better for Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minecraftia240

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Out of these 2 laptop specs, which is better for gaming?(CSGO,COD)

1. Intel Core i3 5020u with 8gb ram
Or
2.Intel core i5 5200u with 6gb ram

Solution
well the i5 is a better processor, but I am puzzled as to why it has less RAM. although for games like that you probably will be fine with 6GB, it just seems like a bad move by the manufacture considering how cheap DDR3 is right now. just remember they are both sporting the same integrated graphics, so I would not expect to play above medium to low.
well the i5 is a better processor, but I am puzzled as to why it has less RAM. although for games like that you probably will be fine with 6GB, it just seems like a bad move by the manufacture considering how cheap DDR3 is right now. just remember they are both sporting the same integrated graphics, so I would not expect to play above medium to low.

Solution

BZRKturbo

Commendable
May 10, 2016

I agree with robert and personally would go with the i5 be cause you wont need 2 more GB of ram just to play cs:go COD ect.

I only have 8 GB of ram and i can render 2 videos and play league of legends at 1080p 130 fps easy. its the processor that matters most in my opinion.

jozeph

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
For gaming the most important is the graphical card. If you have a decent graphical card, the i3 or i5 won't make a difference. More memory means more space for textures. Games need a lot of textures. If they need to be loaded from disk, the game will be slow at times. If they need to be loaded from an SSD then the memory difference will be a lot less noticeable.

So then which one? they have the same integrated graphics. hence why the slightly faster i5 makes sense.

jozeph

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
The graphics card will be the bottle neck. I don't think a faster processor will make any difference, while gaming. More memory might if you don't have an SSD: swapping slows down your pc when you game.

BZRKturbo

Commendable
May 10, 2016

this is correct but with these laptops he is using integrated graphics so there is no dedicated GPU.

jozeph

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Integrated graphics is a GPU. A CPU never replaces a GPU.

BZRKturbo

Commendable
May 10, 2016

You obviously don't know what your talking about. he is asking which lap top he should get.... not what GPU is best and since these laptops only differ in two areas (RAM and processor) that is all he has to choose from. any answer including a reference to a GPU is irrelevant. both laptops have THE SAME INTEGRATED GRAPHICS and no dedicated GPU so between the two there is no reason to choose more ram over a faster processor just to play CS:GO or COD.

Also for all we know the RAM could be upgradable. and in this case, then the i5 is really a win.

BZRKturbo

Commendable
May 10, 2016

Agreed! :D

tgbw079

Commendable
May 13, 2016
the i5 is the better choice, but alone it will most likely not be enough to play your chosen games to the standard you're expecting you're going to want to find a laptop with at least 8gb ram at the least. As for graphics cards, each one is different. There are multiple websites where you can individually compare each graphics card. Whether or not all these websites are entirely reliable is not up to me. Dependant on which country you're in, me being in Australia, If you buy a common laptop for around $1 300 will be able to substantially meet your requirements. Most below that price will most likely not be adequate.
-Regards, Tgbw

tgbw079

Commendable
May 13, 2016
Wouldn't the i5 be better in the long run though, as not only is newer but wont it be faster in general processing which is more commonly used. I know you've already made your decision, but if it isn't too late I would suggest the i5.

Status
Not open for further replies.