What Is Better For Me? AMD or Intel? Please Help. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Hi,

I will be building my first system come 6-8 months from now, I know, maybe a long way out in the technology world but I think it's good to ask now since a lot of changes are happening and have happened and will better prepare myself.

SO, AMD or Intel.

Let me start out by saying I have a Quad core AMD Phenom II 1.6Ghz laptop NOW and it's terrible. It's laggy and it's slow and I heard this processor is now on like the top 20 worst buys for processors. Go figure. Its probably due to this was the first quad core processor out for laptops from AMD with a low 1.6Ghz speed. Anyway, it's slow and is terrible and I've heard a lot of people have taken them back. I bought it in 2010.

BUT, I remember using AMD for my desktop computers in the past years ago with my family and they were just fine. Athlons and such. SO, I do think AMD is very good when it comes to desktops, maybe not laptops. Thats my experience.

I know Intel is king, got it, I know this. BUT Intel comes with a price tag and to me, I don't think Intel is very compatible. They've changed sockets, and I heard Haswell in 2013 the socket may change AGAIN for Intel so whatever you buy now, motherboard and such is a waste because you will have to buy a new one and good motherboards from Intel are very pricey - $200+ all the way to $400 - $500. Also, it seems like AM3+ is here to stay which I like until I'm ready to upgrade again in the future anyway. I'll get more into it below but I wouldn't mind buying a new FM2 motherboard, although I'm sure they need to come out with FM3 and FM4, and so on because I'd be keeping my motherboard and system for a long while.

So I wouldn't necessarily say I am on a "BUDGET" per se but I do like to save money and not buy things I don't need.

So I am gearing towards AMD. I've thought long and hard about what processor to get for my needs. When it comes to AMD, you can pretty much have the best processor they offer for very cheap and I don't mind this, might as well have the best when it's only $200 or less SO please don't tell me to get a dual core because I think that's silly, lol. I do like having nice things if the price is right AND even more than I need if the price is right to keep me future proof because I really don't feel like buying new things every year.

OKAY, lol. So, I've thought long and hard about getting one of the current FX 8 cores which will be dirt cheap when I want to build a computer, OR waiting for Piledriver. AND I've even been thinking about going with FM2 with the Trinity APU. It's too bad these aren't 6 six core or 8 core [yet] but maybe you can tell me if I even need 6 or 8 cores from AMD because cores from AMD are different from cores from Intel. I like the idea of having the graphics built into the chip and what I read, the A10-5800K is unlocked, I can overclock it, it comes already at 3.8Ghz and Turbo is 4.2Ghz and Im sure you can overclock past that while still being safe.

So, again, I thought long and hard about what I'll use my computer for and I'd like to be ready for anything basically but here's what I'd use it for the most.

- Music - Itunes - converting FLAC to MP3 [Not a ton, but enough]
- Video - Watching movies, and occasionally converting AVI to MP4 so I can put them on my iPad.
- I don't like to restart my computer often, lol. Like to leave it on and I usually like to have about 15 windows open in my Google chrome.

- I don't really game on my computer, BUT would love the option to if I wanted to. To play maybe 2 or 3 games.
- Have a few programs open at the same time
- Use Winrar to zip up files [wouldn't do this too much but enough]

I just really don't want lag, lol. I've never had a top of the line CPU before so I have no idea what it's like to be without lag, lol. I just want something that's going to be zippy and fast.

Any advice, help, suggestions, and comments are greatly appreciated to give me more of an idea what I should do.

Thank you for reading! : )

Solution

I think you will be fine with the AMD route. Alot of people round here tend to instantly disregard AMD as an option, which to a degree is right (When gaming/higher end stuff). However in this application where you are by no means a power user and would like to try some casual gaming AMD seems like more of an option. While the CPU in the AMD APU's is weaker than that of an equivalent Intel processor it makes it up by the much better graphics which is just as important. All of my experiences with...
First of all AMD is no more future proof than Intel. AM3+ is dead after Piledriver because AMD is switiching to APU sockets so either way your're going to have to change you motherboard just as you would if you wanted to upgrade an Intel CPU. I would also like to know why getting a dual core CPU is "silly', why because more cores has to be better right? Even though you look at the benchmarks and it clearly shows that the silly dual core I3 out performs pretty much all the Bulldozer CPU's. I would stay far away from the Bulldozer CPU's they are slow and are beaten out by pretty much all recent Intel CPU's including the dual core I3. For what you want an I3 will be more than enough and cheaper. Pair it with a good video card and you will have a good, fast cheap computer.

cyansnow

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
i dont want to be a jerk but this gets asked quite often and the short and simple answer is that intel is normally a step ahead of AMD, intel just has overall better architecutre. it's like comparing cars, they both get the job done but which one is built better? the 8150 hardly ever goes toe to toe with intels flagship 2600k (or 2700k) and is always the lesser performer. the I3 dual core could probably beat an 8120 in a benchmark. AM3 is a dead platform like 1155 is now but 1155 definatly has better CPUs availible.

UnitedExpress4180

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Considering this computer will be mostly everyday use, it looks like AMD is the way to go! Now, if you were building this as a gaming rig, the story would be different, but looking at cost vs. performance compared to performance vs. application, AMD is a clear-cut winner in this case.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

So you don't think AMD Trinity APU would be the way to go? I get a Quad Core, with the graphics built in with piledriver cores?

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Hey, yes, I admit all day long hands down Intel is king. It's just DO I NEED Intel? Know what I mean? That's what I am more or less getting at or can AMD do what I need for a lesser price?

Thank you.

Not really. An I3 is not a gaming chip, yes it can game just fine but it's just as much an everyday home business CPU as any AMD CPU. As I said price to performance the I3 will be cheaper then the Bulldozer and it will out perform it in just about everything but the most heavily threaded programs.

The Trinity hasn't been relased yet so it's impossible to say until it has been released and benchmarked. My guess is it will probably still fall behind the lowest-end Intel CPU, the Sandy Bridges and Ivy Bridges I3.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Hmm. That's interesting. A basic i3 Intel chip is going to do everything I listed in my initial post without lag? I mean, like I said, I don't mind spending some money. I wouldn't need an i5?

And IF an i3 can do all those things I listed with ease, then thats pretty impressive.

One more note is if I went the Intel route, I really wouldn't want to get another Intel processor until they go to 10nm architecture with Skymont.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

I see benchmarks and data for this all over the internet already, unless you think it's not reliable yet?

Yes the I3 will play movies, game, do office work, unzip/zip files and download and play music just fine. Or spend a little more and get a true quad core I5.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah, I bet it will. What about converting files?

I just thought Trinity was up my alley due to it gave me the graphics built in. No need to buy a video card while still giving me Quad core at 3.8Ghz.

You think that Trinity chip will be THAT much slower than an i3 or i5 FOR WHAT I NEED it to do, that I would notice it.

Like if I had that Trinity chip in one computer and an i3 or i5 in another and I did the same things on both, I'd notice it all day or no?

Thank you : )

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Also, one thing I forgot to mention is either way if I bought an Intel or AMD system now, I'd be switching to Intel in 2015/2016 with Skymont's release of 10nm. So, take that for what it's worth. Could I live with AMD until then and such.

EDIT - just trying to make it until then with something decent and then once Skymont is released, I will spend big bucks on a nice system. : )

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

I think you will be fine with the AMD route. Alot of people round here tend to instantly disregard AMD as an option, which to a degree is right (When gaming/higher end stuff). However in this application where you are by no means a power user and would like to try some casual gaming AMD seems like more of an option. While the CPU in the AMD APU's is weaker than that of an equivalent Intel processor it makes it up by the much better graphics which is just as important. All of my experiences with Intel iGPU's have been terrible and would never consider them however AMD flourishes in this segment.

From what I can tell you are just an average user, sure your files will convert faster with an i7/i5 but what would be the point if you only convert files once a month?
Wait until Trinity and see how that performs, If you go the intel route then a dedicated graphics card would be in need, increasing the price even higher. If you are looking for a lag free experience then an SSD would be perfect. The CPU is only partly the reason that the laptop is so laggy, It will probably have a 5900rpm HDD slowing it down further. IMO grab a 7200rpm 500GB/1TB storage drive and have get a nice sized SSD as a boot drive, store your most used programs on the SSD and they will load almost instantly.

Tl:dr AMD isn't bad for what you want to do as long as it's casual, an SSD will help out more than anything.

Solution
5 different people have chimed in and said that an i3 would be fine for your needs. Ive built machines with an i3, currently have one paired with a 6850 and itll play BF3 at 1080p high to ultra settings with the eye candy turned off. Itll be fine for you. And its about $120. 2015 or 2016 is a long way off. Not to mention there are 942 threads asking the same stuff, all youd need to do is a search of the forums and youll have all the info at your fingertips.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks, that was a big help and a really good answer. I'm not a power user but I wouldn't mind power user power, haha. It's too bad these new Trinity APUs by AMD aren't going to be 6 core or 8 core. That would really be something in my view.

But yeah, I'm just looking for something to "hold me over" that is still a good system until 2015/2016. I think AMD can do it. I'm not a power user but I don't think I'm ultra casual either. I'm in the middle. I agree with buying a solid state drive. I'm probably going to do that too. I'm probably getting 16GB of Memory/RAM for my motherboard as well.

I've looked at motherboards but can't really look if I'm going the FM2 way since they aren't out yet but I'll be buying from Asus or ASRock, one or the other because looking at the FM1 boards they have, good priced, $110 or less. I think the ASRock one I liked was like $85 bucks and offered overclocking of the memory and such. I also like the Interface Bios. So, I think that may be the best bet for me.

Thanks again, any other advice or comments are welcome. : )

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

You are right, and thank you for the info on the i3 processor about how powerful it really is to my needs. I am taking both Intel and AMD into consideration. I'm trying to gather info and yes you are probably right about there being a ton of other threads but I really don't want to sit here and search for 4 hours when a few of my concerns were pretty personal for me. I just wanted my own thread. Sorry if that bothers you. : \

EDIT - if I am going i3 or i5, should I get the latest and greatest Ivy Bridge or is Sandy Bridge fine?

Thank you again though, appreciate the help.

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Depends on the prices. There is about a 5-10% gain with ivy bridge however if you are going to overclock ( which only applies to the 2500k/2600k/2700k/ivy bridge equivalents ) then sandy would be better. A couple of days ago I bought a 2500k and a P67 board as it was roughly £40 cheaper then the ivy/z77 equivalent. You can pair a Z77 Motherboard with a sandy bridge CPU however only certain Z68 motherboards will support the ivy cpu's with less features ( no pci 3.0 ). I would go for the cheaper H61/H67 and 2100 due to the fact you would have to bump upto an i5 ivy. Take into consideration that the Intel's iGPU is complete and utter garbage when it comes to gaming and a dedicated graphics card is a MUST, even if it is a lower end 6570. In terms of your usage, you said you are inbetween a casual and power user so I think you would be right at home with the Intel. Just it's a bit more for that extra CPU performance.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks. : )

Only concern I had left was what I asked before to someone else but haven't got an answer back which is between the Trinity APU from AMD and an i3 or low i5, FOR WHAT I WANT & NEED, if I were to use one computer with the Trinity APU in it and one with the Intel i3 or Intel i5 in it, am I going to really notice it that much? a huge difference? Is it really that noticeable for what I need it for?

Lfluxx

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

In the real world, I would say no. There is no way to find out how well Trinity is going to do until it is released however that 10% increase will mainly be towards heavy cpu tasks. If you are browsing the internet/listening to music doing ordinary things then no I don't think you will see a difference. The only times it will make a difference is when you go to the more high end stuff such as encoding etc you will see shorter conversion times with the intel system again with a higher price.

To put it simply

Intel = If you have the money then go for it, often better performance at a higher price.

AMD = Will get you by performing most tasks in a cost efficent way

The APU in Trinity will be great for an integrated solution however a dedicated card will often beat it, therefore if you do get a dedicated card then go for intel, for integrated go for AMD.

ttechfs

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011

Ah I see, so the other tasks like opening up itunes, converting FLAC to mp3, AVI files to MP4, I'm not going to want to rip my hair out, not THAT bad with AMD, right? Just a bit longer than Intel? I'm not going to have serious lag or whatnot? Opening up programs like Microsoft Office and surfing the web and watching a movie at the same time?

Thank you again. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.