[SOLVED] What is better, increasing system RAM or having dedicated Graphics card?

May 22, 2020
My main use will be having chrome and trading software running simultaneously, both with multiple charts open in separate tabs

Solution
Thanks for the answer!

Would you recommend shelling out more for the graphic card as well? I mean will it be worth it to spend extra to get 16gb RAM as well as 2gb dedicated graphic card?
Without knowing the exact CPU and its integrated graphics, hard to say.

But, a laptop with only one extra screen, and no gaming use...a dedicated GPU is probably not needed.
Put that $$ elsewhere, as in a faster drive. SSD vs HDD.
May 22, 2020
Further:

laptop or desktop?
How many monitors will you run?
"multiple charts open in separate tabs " - How many tabs? 20? 1,000?
What specific GPU?

Bottom line - RAM or GPU? can be chosen in isolation.

However, 8GB RAM is a bit slim for Chrome and 'multiple tabs'.
A laptop, and most likely will be connecting one additional monitor to the same.

Will have between 50-100 charts open across both the applications.

I don't have the exact specs of the processor and gpu, i5 dual core and 16gb RAM/8gb RAM+2gb dedicated graphics is as specific as I can be at the moment.

Thanks for the info!!

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the answer!

Would you recommend shelling out more for the graphic card as well? I mean will it be worth it to spend extra to get 16gb RAM as well as 2gb dedicated graphic card?

But, a laptop with only one extra screen, and no gaming use...a dedicated GPU is probably not needed.

Reactions: poker.noob4444
Solution
May 22, 2020

Appreciate the help!

I just wasn't sure if a trading software or viewing multiple charts on Chrome required dedicated graphics. If integrated graphics will be enough, you are right, the money is better spent on an SSD or something

Integrated graphics works nicely for all but fast action gaming.
If you have the option, consider 32gb of ram.
Chrome seems to be a memory hog and you need sufficient ram to hold quite a number of charts.

No question, a ssd of some sort is advised for storage on a laptop.