Sep 28, 2016
First off, my hardware:
  • Intel i7 7700
  • NVidia GTX 1080
  • 16 GB Memory
  • Gigabyte Z270-Gaming K3
  • 1TB magnetic drive

The problem:
GPU runs @40% resulting in very poor FPS in games.
Also, I don't know whether related or not, while booting up the system, the dark pre-BIOS screen lingers for 3-4 minutes.

What I have tried so far:
  • Checked the CPU using burn-in - clean.
  • Checked the storage using CrystalDiskMark - clean.
  • Checked CPU temp - never higher than 80° Celsius. I also renewed the thermal compound.

Please tell me if I can provide more info.

On what screen resolution are you playing games, 1080p or 2K/4K ? Since when did this issue start to occur ? Recently, or it was there since the beginning ??

*If "performance" related issue: -Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

Have you tried doing a CLEAN re-install of the GPU drivers, or maybe even Rollback to a previous version ? Use the DDU tool. Also, are you using Windows 10 OS ? Did you recently update your OS build ?

What is the GPU's temp value when playing Games ??

Tom Bombtongue

Reputable
Sep 28, 2016
Do you have the latest drivers for your GPU?
Yes, I do.

On what screen resolution are you playing games, 1080p or 2K/4K ? Since when did this issue start to occur ? Recently, or it was there since the beginning ??

*If "performance" related issue: -Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

Have you tried doing a CLEAN re-install of the GPU drivers, or maybe even Rollback to a previous version ? Use the DDU tool. Also, are you using Windows 10 OS ? Did you recently update your OS build ?

What is the GPU's temp value when playing Games ??
I am playing @1080p, never tried higher resolutions.

The PC is ~2 years old, but I don't usually play demanding games. Mainly play League of Legends. This game used to give upto 300FPS but now goes as low as 50 at times.

I wish I knew the exact point things went wrong. But I don't think it is Windows update or BIOS update. I keep the GPU drivers up-to-date but can they really lower the performance this much? I also didn't change hardware since I built the system.

Yes, I am using Windows 10. I will try a clean re-install of the driver next.

GPU temp is like 40°.

Tom Bombtongue Hi.

Can you name at least two games where you're seeing 40% utilization? What resolution / settings / FPS are you seeing in said games? Which application are you using to check GPU utilization? Personally I like GPU-Z ("senors" tab) and my second choice would be Hardware monitor. I've seen task manager wrongly display this figure, which is why i'm asking.

"while booting up the system, the dark pre-BIOS screen lingers for 3-4 minutes."

Did your system always do this? If not, did this situation develop around the same time as your 40% GPU utilization?

Tom Bombtongue

Reputable
Sep 28, 2016
I have tried re-formatting, that is why I was not responding. After a clean re-install, the problem is still there.

Forgot to ask this before, but which power supply unit are you using ?
The 700W power source that came with the chassis.

Tom Bombtongue Hi.

Can you name at least two games where you're seeing 40% utilization? What resolution / settings / FPS are you seeing in said games? Which application are you using to check GPU utilization? Personally I like GPU-Z ("senors" tab) and my second choice would be Hardware monitor. I've seen task manager wrongly display this figure, which is why i'm asking.

"while booting up the system, the dark pre-BIOS screen lingers for 3-4 minutes."

Did your system always do this? If not, did this situation develop around the same time as your 40% GPU utilization?

I get 40% GPU usage and only 40FPS @1080p highest settings in Dragon Quest XI. I am using MSI Afterburner to check it.

It didn't always wait in the pre-BIOS screen. It has been like this for the past year or so, and the FPS drop has started since around the same time.