CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Ok so about a year and a half ago I build a system consisting of:

i5-3570k
HD 7970
2x4GB Kingston 1600MHz RAM
ASROCK Pro4-m

Everything was fine until about a month after I switched to this RAM (G. Skill 2133MHz):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231519

Then my motherboard started breaking every month. It would start out fine for a week, and then crash more-and-more often until it became unusable. Thus I looked around and found 1 or 2 reviews on Newegg who said the exact same thing happened to them. So then I got an MSI Z77MA-G45 thinking it would solve my problems. Now this motherboard is having the same problem (Crash to blackscreen) that my ASROCK one had. So WTF is going on?!

-Is this RAM just too fast my mid-range boards?
-Is this RAM evil?
-Could my Intel CPU be killing them?!
-Do I just have the worst luck ever?
-Has anyone else here ever received a bad Intel CPU?

Other things to note:

-I was stupid with my RAM last summer and ended up frying it. G. Skill sent me new RAM so all is good, but that means that it wasn't a particular set of RAM breaking my motherboards. All of these models are bad (If the RAM is indeed the culprit).

-

your problem is due to the mismatch between the frequencies of the ram s.

2 of them running at 1600mhz while 1 at 2133

it is always a good idea to get ram s of exact same speed and better still of the same manufacturer. and u have none.

try using your pc without the new ram for sometime,see what happens. if your problem is solved, get rid of the g.skill and instead get a 1600mhz kingston ram

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I stopped using the kingston RAM when I got the G. Skill. I switched. So that is not the problem.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I isolated what is wrong. It's the CPU. It seems kinda obvious looking back on it now. Now I just have to decide if I should buy an i7-3770k, or just upgrade to a nicer MOBO with an i7-4770k...

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Yeah that's what I went with. I just couldn't believe an Intel CPU broke on me. Oh well a 4770k + ASUS VI will be a beast!