What is causing my hard drive to make this noise?

AvidoWA

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
Hello all, my Hard drive will make a singular clicking sound. Almost exclusively while I am gaming. If i'm mid game and it happens, nothing new will load and the music will stop playing, Essentially I can play until I need to load something new. Sometimes it will recover and go back to normal, sometimes the noise will happen immediately after it recovers, while other times it won't happen again for a few days. (also sometimes it fails to recover at all and freezes up so i have to restart)

I'll have stretches of time where everything runs without issues, then seemingly out of nowhere it gets to the point where i can barely boot up without this noise occurring. Then it just kind of goes away for a few days.

I've tried plugging in an older Hard Drive i had lying around, and i thought i had fixed the problem, it worked for about two weeks and then the noise came back today.

An Example of today issue, I was browsing the menus setting up my game and everything was working fine, then as soon as I start to actually play the noise would happen, then the music would stop, and i could continue playing and it would make the noise again as soon as it would recover. (my computer is more then capable of handling the game as it ran fine previously). Also I played a game with significantly lesser graphical requirements without issue for awhile today, without the noise happening once. Where as it would happen within the first few seconds of game-play for the more graphically taxing one.

I'm sorry if I haven't given much information as it is kind of hard for me to explain. As it usually only sticks around for a few days then goes away before I can actually figure out whats going on.

I've used two separate hard-drives and the noise happens with both of them ( different noises, as they are different brands but same issue after the noise happens) One hard drive is around 2 years and the other much older possibly 6-8 range.

Could anything else be causing my hard-drive to make this noise?

I'm just at a loss, and its driving me crazy, any form of info or help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks in advance.

DaNTe07

Reputable
Jun 26, 2014
First run a disk defragment on your drives(win already has a software called Disk Defragmenter, search in your pc) and after that if the clicking sound still persists then I guess your hdd is failing so do a backup of important files and reaplace it with a new hdd.