What is causing problems in my system?

thindery

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
In Jan 2010, I upgraded a system I originally built back in 2005. Here is what's inside:

Ram
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
newegg link

mobo
ECS A780GM-M3 AM2+/AM3 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
newegg link

mobo
AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor ADX425WFGIBOX
newegg link

old c drive (like 8 years old)
Western Digital 36 GB 8MB 360GD Raptor SATA 10K RPM

new c drive
Seagate - Barracuda 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive
best buy link

400watt power supply

win 7 pro 64 bit

I use the onboard video and plug into a 22inch acer via dvi.

In November I updated my old c drive to the new 1tb c drive. I did a clone and kept the old c drive connected, and I could freely boot into it as I wanted. The new c drive worked like a perfect clone. Then all of a sudden a few days ago my monitor started to go black.

On Wednesday I noticed the monitor was on, but had a black screen. The system did not wake up or anything. I rebooted, tried to do boot into windows, and it worked and showed the desktop, but then the screen went black again. The monitor didn't just turn off, but it was still getting signals because it just went black. My monitor would have said no signal found and went to the really dark "monitor off" black when it is not in use.

I tried to do a windows repair, recovery, everything. Occassionally I would get to the desktop, but it would just go black again. Sometimes the system would hang on the windows 4 color orb that flys into the screen.

So I decided to try to boot into my old c drive on Thursday. Everything worked fine. Booted in, had internet, not crazy screen going black or anything. I went to bed, work up Friday and the computer was asleep. I moved the mouse and it woke right up and everything was working. I get home from work 8 hours later, and the screen is black and the system is not responding to anything.

I reboot the system, try to get into my old c drive.. and now I can't get booted into it. it hangs on the windows color orbs.

So I tried to pop in my win 7 cd and boot from it. This is where it gets weird. Look at this video to see what happens:

Sometimes the screen does some really weird color stuff where a few spots on the monitor have "static" or when the windows is loading files from the repair wizard it shows blue lines and blue text kind of off centered from the white text. Its like there is static or something to the video output.
quick vid showing static at end

Here is a video when I try to do startup repair on my old c drive or the new c drive.. again it starts to work, then the screen just goes black:
startup repair

This last video is what happens when it trys to boot from cd. I picked it up toward the end of the files loading:
boot from cd

So I can't get booted from cd, any drive. i have tried system restores, but now I can't even get to those options anymore from within the windows repair because it hangs while trying to initiate it. i can get into my bios and everything. But I can't even reinstall windows as of now. It just hangs all the time before the windows color orbs or during it.

Does anybody know what is going on or have a suggestion on what I could try? Or is something dieing?

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Turn off your lights, shine a flashlight into your monitor when it's dark and see if you spot the image.

If so then this means your CCFL backlights are either done (not unusual for 4-5 year old monitor) or you have a capacitor problem somewhere. There are guides for capacitor repair if you have skills with a soldering gun, otherwise it's probably time for a new one.