[SOLVED] What is causing some videos to buffer but not others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complexic_1

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
First off my connection is not the issue, it works fine for everything else except live streaming videos. The only thing I know of is bandwidth but I'm not sure how that works in this case.

Bandwidth, as I understand it, is just a sub set of your connection. Meaning if my connection while trying to download something is bad, it could be a bandwidth issue. Not the other way around.

However in this case, some videos on other websites are loading fine, even at higher quality (1080 +). But any time I open a streaming video (a live updating feed as opposed to a prerecorded video) it wont work even at 160p.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Solution
The main difference network wise between live video and pre recorded is live video is much more sensitive to data loss. Pre recorded video will use a buffer so it has time to resend lost data. With live video since the data does not really exist before it is sent the application can not pre load a buffer so any data loss will be see when it occurs.

You can check by running a constant ping to some common IP like 8.8.8.8. It is much more common to get data loss on wifi but it could be the internet connection to your house also.

Now this is only 1 possibility it can also be application related. There are many software related settings that can cause similar problems.

Lutfij

Titan
Are you working with a laptop or a desktop? If a laptop, please mention the make and model as well as the SKU to said device. If you're on a desktop, please state the make and model of the motherboard and it's BIOS version. If it's a prebuilt, stating the make and model as well as it's SKU will help us two fold...or a link to your device works as well.

As for your wireless networking issue, considering you posted this thread in the wireless networking section, have you tried uninstalling your wireless adapter's drivers and reinstalling them in an elevated command(assuming you're on Windows OS environment), i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? Make and model of your wireless router/access point? Check to see if that device has an firmware updates pending.

The main difference network wise between live video and pre recorded is live video is much more sensitive to data loss. Pre recorded video will use a buffer so it has time to resend lost data. With live video since the data does not really exist before it is sent the application can not pre load a buffer so any data loss will be see when it occurs.

You can check by running a constant ping to some common IP like 8.8.8.8. It is much more common to get data loss on wifi but it could be the internet connection to your house also.

Now this is only 1 possibility it can also be application related. There are many software related settings that can cause similar problems.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.