[SOLVED] What is causing this crash?

Nov 13, 2019
Hi there,

I just finished my build and got it setup and running, you can see my specs listed below:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Inland Premium 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-13 22:59 EST-0500

my computer is randomly shutting down mostly when I'm in games. I've been monitoring my temps and both gpu and cpu stay around 50c while gaming (csgo). The crash isn't a blue screen its almost like a normal power cycle.

What I've tried:
Furmark - I stressed my gpu for around an hour without a crash
prime95 in blend mode- Stressed cpu and ram for an hour without a crash
Memtest86 - Ran memtest overnight without any issues.

Yesterday some people recommended swapping out psu's and I just did and will continue to run tests. Is there any way I can specifically test a psu to see if there are problems with it?
If in bios I have xmp set and I passed Memtest86 would that be a clear indicator that my xmp settings are fine?

Any pointers on how I can diagnose my problem?

Thanks

Solution
Yesterday some people recommended swapping out psu's and I just did and will continue to run tests. Is there any way I can specifically test a psu to see if there are problems with it?
Unfortunately not effectively no.

You could theoretically monitor voltage outputs of the PSU using HWInfo for example, but the readings can often be inaccurate and only an indicator. Even then if everything appears normal, it doesn't mean it is.

Alternatively you can remove the PSU and test each rail with a multimeter, but this doesn't simulate load, and often faulty PSUs can begin to go awry under load.

All I will add, is the CX PSU you have linked there is the old platform that is not great quality, especially in comparison to the new CX...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately not effectively no.

You could theoretically monitor voltage outputs of the PSU using HWInfo for example, but the readings can often be inaccurate and only an indicator. Even then if everything appears normal, it doesn't mean it is.

Alternatively you can remove the PSU and test each rail with a multimeter, but this doesn't simulate load, and often faulty PSUs can begin to go awry under load.

All I will add, is the CX PSU you have linked there is the old platform that is not great quality, especially in comparison to the new CX platform (you can tell by the label colour, green=old and poorer, grey= new and better). Is this the new or the old PSU?

If in bios I have xmp set and I passed Memtest86 would that be a clear indicator that my xmp settings are fine?
No, just that MEMTEST can't see any fault with the RAM modules.

Solution
Nov 13, 2019
Hi guys,

Little update, since I have swapped to an older PSU i've had laying around the reboots have stopped. I ordered myself a newer PSU that is nicer as per @PC Tailor's recommendation.

Thanks again everyone for posting ideas and help!

TRENDING THREADS