Question What is causing this problem ?

Aug 20, 2019
So, I've been having a problem with my computer recently. I play World of Warcraft on a bad laptop (like 7 years old) and I could not launch the game because of an issue with 3d acceleration, so I started searching for solutions to my issue.

The only one that seemed to work was to uninstall my Nvidia Geforce driver via the device manager and then restart my computer and windows would reinstall the driver.
The game would work again but with one issue, the amount of fps I had was half of what I had before. So I decided to see what was causing the decrease in frames. And I realized that my pc did not reinstall my driver and was using my integrated GPU (intel(r) 3000 HD) which was way worse than what I had before (Geforce 610M 1GB)
So I tried reinstalling my drivers manually to learn that GeForce did not detect my GeForce GPU and my GeForce card doesn't show in drivers manager even with hidden drivers on.
Now, I'm struggling to run simple games such as Minecraft (30 fps) and it's really pissing me off.

Specs that I think should be useful:
Win 10 64 bits
Cpu: Intel Core i3-2350M 2.30 GHz 2 cores
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 610 M 1GB/ Intel(R) HD graphics 3000

timbroslice

Prominent
Jun 13, 2019
Me too, but there is a good chance that is what happened.

I would try checking your BIOS to ensure that your GPU is enabled, Im pretty sure there is an option to switch the output.

There is a side of good news here, if the video card died, your system is slow and old enough that you can replace it with a pretty cheap used system and still double your speed or more.

Or a new one with a Ryzen 5 CPU, the onboard graphics of that is faster than the lower end 610 M you have by a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-330S-...5+laptop&qid=1566339826&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

I managed to get an almost new ASUS Tuf 505DY for under $400.

If your system is dead, check craigslist for systems, you should be able to find something decent in the $250-300 range, look for at least a 950 mobile video card, others are not really worth it.

The M suffix graphics are for laptops and are different from the desktop variants.
Are you certain you downloaded the proper drivers from the nvidia web site?

Go to the laptop support site and download and install the graphics drivers from there.
A laptop needs tightly integrated drivers to be able to switch from integrated to discrete adapters.

Aug 20, 2019
There is a side of good news here, if the video card died, your system is slow and old enough that you can replace it with a pretty cheap used system and still double your speed or more.

Or a new one with a Ryzen 5 CPU, the onboard graphics of that is faster than the lower end 610 M you have by a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-330S-15ARR-Laptop-Memory-Platinum/dp/B07N6GDPKC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ryzen+5+laptop&qid=1566339826&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

I managed to get an almost new ASUS Tuf 505DY for under $400.

If your system is dead, check craigslist for systems, you should be able to find something decent in the $250-300 range, look for at least a 950 mobile video card, others are not really worth it.
I'll be honest, having to spend 250-300$ isn't good news on my end and I don't know if Craigslist is available in France.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
The M suffix graphics are for laptops and are different from the desktop variants.
Are you certain you downloaded the proper drivers from the nvidia web site?

Go to the laptop support site and download and install the graphics drivers from there.
A laptop needs tightly integrated drivers to be able to switch from integrated to discrete adapters.
I'm sure I took the right one, if not I'll check tomorrow because it's getting late here

I really doubt that just your discrete graphics chip has gone dead.

If you have installed the nvidia drivers for your 610M you should be able to right click on the desktop and open the nvidia control panel.
There, you should have an option to select integrated or discrete graphics.
There will also be an option called "auto"
Auto will by default use the higher performance discrete graphics when plugged in.
On battery the laptop will select integrated graphics to save battery time.

Aug 20, 2019
I really doubt that just your discrete graphics chip has gone dead.

If you have installed the nvidia drivers for your 610M you should be able to right click on the desktop and open the nvidia control panel.
There, you should have an option to select integrated or discrete graphics.
There will also be an option called "auto"
Auto will by default use the higher performance discrete graphics when plugged in.
On battery the laptop will select integrated graphics to save battery time.
That's the thing I don't have access to the nvidia control panel when I right click

If you go to device manager, under display adapters do you see the 610M?
If you do, is there a yellow exclamation point which indicates no driver installed.
If you click on properties, does it say the device is working properly.
If the device is working, you should be able to install the nvidia driver.

If you do not see the 610M adapter, go to settings and click on add a device(Bluetooth)
That should initiate a rescan for any devices.
If no joy, then, yes, the adapter is likely dead.

Aug 20, 2019
I did not see it the first time but I do have it now and my pc just decided to detect my card out of nowhere. But when launching my game I still have the issue with 3d acceleration, is there any way you can help me with this ?