[SOLVED] What is causing this very low frame drops on Warzone?

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
Hi guys,

Very frustrated, I have an AMD ryzen 7 3700x and an Asus TUF 3080. On warzone it feels like my FPS declines further and further each week. I went from having an acceptable 130 fps to an average 90 fps on high settings it even drops as low as 60 fps quite regularly. I feel like I have exhausted every possible fix for this. I've accepted that 150-180 fps is pretty much out of reach for my CPU but as low as 60 fps certainly signifies thst something is seriously wrong. Is my Cpu causing this? I was thinking about upgrading my cpu to AMD ryzen 7 5800x because its supposed to be much more powerful.

Heres my specs
1x) Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cache Hard Drive - System Stock
(1x) ASUS PCE-AX58BT Dual-Band Wireless AX3000 (WiFi 6) Bluetooth 5.0 PCI-E Adapter
(1x) Microsoft Windows 10 Home Advanced - Systems
(1x) Special Offer Bullguard Internet Security - Anti-Virus and Security - 1 Year 3 PC
(1x) Team Group 8Pack Edition 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C16 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
(1x) AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core 4.4GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - MPK
(1x) Phanteks Eclipse P600S Glass Silent Midi Tower Case - Black
(1x) Build Stock Asus GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF GAMING 10GB GDDR6X GRAPHICS CARD
(1x) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
(1x) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive

SEASONIC FOCUS GX-850 850W 80+ GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I have a 165hz monitor, so it cant be the 60hz thing :(

Make sure the monitor is set to 165kz in Windows under display settings and in the nvidia control panel. I've found that occasional Windows updates as well as GPU driver updates will reset it to the default 60hz for no reason at all. Also double check in the game settings...yeah needing to check in 3 places kinda sucks but it's the only way to make sure that's not the issue.

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
what the hdd for?
malware scan the system?

Hey, thanks for the reply. Please bare in mind that im very new to PC, this is my first ever Gaming computer. I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

The GPU temp in-game is 60°. I brought up Task Manager and it displays my power usage as very high, my CPU usage 41% on average. GPU usage is 8%.
I have scanned the system with my Bullgaurd anti virus, no results.

CPU temperature is around 62°

"what the hdd for? "
Im not sure what you mean by this, could you expand further please?

Reactions: sgnz

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
I also forgot to say I play on 2k resolution with high settings, when i try to lower them the game looks unplayable, I cant see any enemies at a distance. So I need to play at a higher settings.

yeetbucket

Proper
Jan 14, 2021
switch to a ssd maybe? Ive had problems with my cpu dropping my fps from 150 to 15, so maybe try resetting all overclocks

maybe a fresh COMPLETE reinstall of windows with nothing left over.

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
"GPU usage is 8% "

Is that a typo ? How are you measuring FPS and GPU usage in game ?

"(1x) Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive "

You have this listed twice...do you have two of them installed ?

What type of internet connection do you have ?

What down/up speeds and ping does Speedtest.net give you ?

You have this listed twice...do you have two of them installed ?
I have two SSD drives.

Is that a typo ? How are you measuring FPS and GPU usage in game ?

I'm very new to PC gaming, so I am a complete newbie. How do I test this and i'll come back with the correct results. I used task manager for GPU usage. I used the ingame widget on warzone to check my FPS, theres an option to turn it on in warzone settings

What type of internet connection do you have ?

A very good connection, I believe. I tested on speedtest.net. Here are the results:

PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

In game my ping is regularly around 20-40 ms

Last edited:
It could be a vertical refresh issue where vsynch or adaptive vsynch is kicking in to stop those wasted FPS if it is a 60Hz monitor. You can disable that in the driver and possibly also in the game settings, but if your monitor is only 60Hz it's a waste anyway to have more than 60FPS.

Otherwise it's probably just the game engine not threading properly when draw distance is increased and there is nothing you can do about that really except overclock or decrease your draw distance to increase performance to where you want it.

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
It could be a vertical refresh issue where vsynch or adaptive vsynch is kicking in to stop those wasted FPS if it is a 60Hz monitor. You can disable that in the driver and possibly also in the game settings, but if your monitor is only 60Hz it's a waste anyway to have more than 60FPS.

Otherwise it's probably just the game engine not threading properly when draw distance is increased and there is nothing you can do about that really except overclock or decrease your draw distance to increase performance to where you want it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do you guys think that if I upgrade my CPU to a 5800x it would improve it?
No. I suspect the same thing will happen.
Starting off high, and gradually dropping over time does not sound like a cpu problem, unless it's thermal throttling, and you've not reported anything to suggest that.
Plus, the 5800X would make you start another thread for a different reason: thermals.

Did you already try EA/Warzone forums?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No, but you are looking at some time consuming troubleshooting to narrow down whatever the heck is causing the 'traffic jam'.

Do you recall anything different you may have done the day of, or the day before the game started chugging along? Like, a Windows update? Recent game update? Your antivirus, perhaps? Anything you may have downloaded recently.

Also: Did it only happen in Warzone? That's the only game you bring up, but seeing whether or not it happens in other titles would help narrow it down.
Like, if it's only happening in Warzone, then the source of the problem is in Warzone. But if it's observed occurring in multiple games, then it's more likely to be driver/software related.

Make sure the monitor is set to 165kz in Windows under display settings and in the nvidia control panel. I've found that occasional Windows updates as well as GPU driver updates will reset it to the default 60hz for no reason at all. Also double check in the game settings...yeah needing to check in 3 places kinda sucks but it's the only way to make sure that's not the issue.

Solution

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
No, but you are looking at some time consuming troubleshooting to narrow down whatever the heck is causing the 'traffic jam'.

Do you recall anything different you may have done the day of, or the day before the game started chugging along? Like, a Windows update? Recent game update? Your antivirus, perhaps? Anything you may have downloaded recently.

Also: Did it only happen in Warzone? That's the only game you bring up, but seeing whether or not it happens in other titles would help narrow it down.
Like, if it's only happening in Warzone, then the source of the problem is in Warzone. But if it's observed occurring in multiple games, then it's more likely to be driver/software related.

Problem is its started declining after like 3 days when I first played on it. The fps was never particularly great anyway.

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021

Will check today, thanks for tips guys

RubberDucky 123

Prominent
Feb 11, 2021
Hey guys, I did something that improved my FPS for anybody viewing this thread because of the same problem. It gave me atleast another 15-20 fps. I installed the cold war nvidia driver 457.30, I don't know why it worked but it did.