What is EnableULPS?

Mounty_078

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
Hello, I just installed Windows 10 and is working pretty okay so far. My brother's lame ass dv6 couldn't get it installed and he finally got it installed and even though he has an SSD installed, it booted very slow. So he read somewhere that he should disable ULPS through regedit. And even though I have no problem with the boot what so ever he wanted me to disable it because "it's faster now". So why does it do and why does it boot faster? I only know it means Ultra Low Power State.

Slashgeek

Admirable
According to this article:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1904869/disable-ulps-amd-crossfire-setups.html

ULPS is a feature of AMD GPUs which are in a multi-GPU CrossFire configuration. You're correct in that it means Ultra Low Power State, and essentially, when enabled, it turns off the second GPU when it isn't in use. This feature sometimes causes problems with games and overclocking, and there are some cases when it does cause a slow boot.

Solution

Mounty_078

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

I see. I kept it disabled now and my question is pretty much solved. But out curiosity, I got a R9 290 and my brother's laptop has a 6870. We both have one GPU, and he says his PC starts alot faster now. My boot was fast from the beginning so I'm not sure about me but how is it possible that it could affect him? Also why would Microsoft have it enabled from the start?

Slashgeek

Admirable

Microsoft didn't enable ULPS by default, as this is a feature specific to AMD graphics cards. Rather, this is a default setting enabled on AMD driver packages. In theory it's a good idea, as graphics cards tend to consume large amounts of power, but it does cause a few poor souls to experience issues. As for it affecting him and not you, the conditions for the issue arising are not entirely clear, so we might never know why he experiences startup problems and you do not. As a rule, though, if disabling ULPS fixes your problems, then you should keep it disabled.

sardinia1

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
There is a good few million people suffering with long blackscreen bootups into Winodws 10, and 1st Gen Intel i3,i5,i7 are crashing whenever they launch a game. This is directly related to ULPS being on, when on all laptops it should be switched off. It was never a design feature for laptops. AMD/ATI decided to be extra lazy and removed fixed mode, and changed it to dynamic mode, this means you have to select high performance for every single app, otherwise it will be considered low power and operate on the lesser Intel HD IGP. Because AMD/ATI took this action, what we have now is a driver that barely supports the discrete cards and have ULPS switched on, with no way for it to be switched off unless you go into the Registry , look for it, and turn of crossfire to, since no laptop can run it, along with turning ulps off. This then makes laptops and those with older cards boot very quickly. There should be a mobility driver, with ulps off, and a regular driver with it on, since it does not affect newer cards.

Totally agree, and what's worse, every time the Display Drivers are updated, the 'one' reappears in the 'D' word. Plus the option to prevent Drivers from being auto updated seems to be ignored. Grrrr...!

Fernando_16

Commendable
May 30, 2016
This happens to me too.
But only after windows update install (I think KB3156421), because before this update windows start quick.
HP DV6 6060EP with grafic cards Intel/AMD