[SOLVED] What is everyone's favorite thermal paste and application method?

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I have watched a bunch of youtube videos showing application methods and quite a few of them show no temp difference or not big enough to make a difference. I will be mounting a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO to a Ryzen 5900X. It looks like the 5 dot method is a good choice for this setup. I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut in my current build. Thinking of going with this again with 5 small dots.

Solution
I do not recommend Kryonaut for Ryzen 5000 builds, or laptops.
The dumb - IMO - temperature quirk of Kyro, combined with Ryzen 5000's boost algorithm being active up to 90C, will lead to more frequent repastes.
How often? I couldn't say. It'll vary between users. The stuff's already expensive per gram as is.

Kryonaut's supposed to be spread manually over the entire IHS with the provided applicator.

As for the thread topic: Don't have one.
I use NT-H2 on the gpu currently. Affordable and works well. Thinking of trying one of the other good pastes for gpus once this tube runs out.
Cpu has Conductonaut on it, because I took the IHS off it, and paste does not appear to work so well - at least, NT-H2 didn't.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The dumb - IMO - temperature quirk of Kyro, combined with Ryzen 5000's boost algorithm being active up to 90C, will lead to more frequent repastes.
How often? I couldn't say. It'll vary between users. The stuff's already expensive per gram as is.

Kryonaut's supposed to be spread manually over the entire IHS with the provided applicator.

I use NT-H2 on the gpu currently. Affordable and works well. Thinking of trying one of the other good pastes for gpus once this tube runs out.
Cpu has Conductonaut on it, because I took the IHS off it, and paste does not appear to work so well - at least, NT-H2 didn't.

Solution

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017

I have looked at the NTH2 and it reviews comparably to the Kryonaut. I cannot find any information on it lasting longer than Kryonaut between repastes due to high temps. It appears Kryonaut can dry out at temps of 80C. Is there any information on the dry out temp of the Noctua? Thanks.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I'm going to try the NTH2. I like that it is a 3.5 gram tube instead of the measly one gram tube of Kyronaut. They also say it spreads better and the pea method is the best way to apply. Thanks.

emitfudd

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I've used both H1 and H2.
H1 spreads more easily because it's viscosity is lower. Pea method might not be enough for H2 on cpus.
Noctua's own recommendation for H2 on AM4 is the 5 dot.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBS2SfB4wB0
Thanks, you saved me from doing it wrong. I must have been watching an older video that showed a small pea for 1151 size, bigger pea for am4 and multiple dots (more than 5) for larger cpu's.

Do you recommend putting the outer dots as close to the edge of the cpu as in this video? It seems like it would squeeze out around the edges putting it that close.