What is Fast Sync?

Jun 4, 2018
I saw this fast sync in NVIDIA Control Panel and I'm wondering what's the difference between Fast Sync/Vsync/Gsync. Which is better in gaming (such as Rainbow Six Siege)

And I've been getting stuttering so I'm trying to find a solution to prevent this.

*Fast SYNC, thats what I meant. SORRY!

Free Sync is not the same thing as Fast Sync.

Nvidia cards do not support Free Sync.
Best option would be Gsync, if your monitor supports it.
Next best option is Adaptive Vsync.
Fast Sync is meant for situations, when FPS is multiple times more than refresh rate of monitor.
Regular Vsync should be avoided, if adaptive Vsync is available.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
G-sync and Free-Sync solve the same problem in two different ways and are not cross compatible. The problem is when your GPU is unable to produce enough frames for every monitor refresh cycle. This leads to screen tearing. They solve it by giving the GPU control of the monitors refresh rate. V-sync, Adaptive V-sync solve it in the opposite manner, the GPU will not begin drawing a frame until the start of a refresh cycle. If a frame isn't available, it draws the old frame again. Effectively this leads to an increase in latency since you may be seeing an old image. V-sync and Adaptive V-Sync will also limit the frame rate the GPU produces to whatever the monitor's refresh rate is. G-sync and Free-sync can be set to ignore synching above the monitor's refresh rate.

Stuttering, is more a symptom of some component in the system not being fast enough for the given settings. IE a slow drive, not enough system memory, not enough video memory, not enough cpu performance. Check your temperatures, throttling can certainly lead to stuttering. Lower your graphics settings to see if the problem continues, likely the rest of the computer then. Always check your running software, might have something spiking the CPU, like a virus or malware.

Jun 4, 2018
Thanks for the answers! My cpu isn't throttling however the CPU Usage is peaking at 100% every time when I'm in the game. I tried V-Sync and it reduced to 60-85% but I'm not satisfied with 60fps as I'm not used to it. Is there any solution?

Jun 4, 2018

Ah , I see. I'm sorry, I didn't see that. I'll make sure to read the pinned ones before I post.

TRENDING THREADS