G

i am buying a new hard drive, I was just wondering what was faster the 5400rpm with a seek of 9.0 or a 7200rpm with a seek of 12.0. Seek time means is slower right if its higher number.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
curious seek times.
9 is very low for a 5400rpm drive.

anyways, i would go for a 7200rpm drive over the 5400rpm, as the data transfer rates would be far greater.

unless of couse the 7200 drive is old and the 5400 is new and advanced.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Those are most likely wrong seek times.

I saw 5 different seek times listed for the hard drives I bought. And that's just from the store's web site.

Ignore seek times, get the 7200RPM.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
7200RPM gives you a theoretical 33% speed boost.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>"i am buying a new hard drive, I was just wondering what was faster the 5400rpm with a seek of 9.0 or a 7200rpm with a seek of 12.0. Seek time means is slower right if its higher number.</font color=green>
You are kidding probably with your "a 7200rpm with a seek of 12.0". I smell a boo-boo here. :smile:
I opened one of the old price lists I keep from February 1997. You know what? There's only 1.7GB Seagate Medalist (Enh. IDE, 2700 RPM, 12ms) could compete with your new buy.
Where did you find such slow harddisk? What's the model? Or is it something home-made? OK, you may not answer, never mind. My advice: keep away from unknown stuff, no matter how cheap it is.
And more: if you want to get the best answer and useful for you advice, provide us with the makes and models of the harddrives you are going to compare. Or ask simply, "What do you recommend?" :smile:

And you'll get a real help. People will be happy to provide you with their opinions, also with the links to different reviews. You even will be able to run your own real comparison tests on different harddisks before buying them! :smile:

G

There is much more to determining which is the overall faster drive than just rpm and seek times.