[SOLVED] What is First, Last and Auto Boot Option in Bios?

RitSin

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
I have a dell laptop
I want to be installed to window 10 but when I opened bios
I have seen "Add to boot option" "First" "Last" and "Auto" -- what is this?

and I also want to know that if I choose the uefi boot option instead of legacy ?

should I Enable the legacy option Rom or disable it?

Solution
Thanking you

may I know if my laptop already installed with window 7 into legacy mode and want to upgrade to window 10
so is there any option to change to legacy into UEFI

Because as per you said UEFI is the best mode for window 10.
I'd be wary updating a laptop that came with Windows 7 to Windows 10. Go to the MFR's support site and check to see if it's fully compatible first. Then follow their guides for doing the upgrade. Dell laptops, in particular, can be a problem if they don't fully support the update.
I have a dell laptop
I want to be installed to window 10 but when I opened bios
I have seen "Add to boot option" "First" "Last" and "Auto" what is this

and I also want to know that if choose the uefi boot option instead of legacy

should I Enable the legacy option Rom or disable it?
Choose the UEFI boot option as it offers the most security with a modern OS like Windows 10. Also enable the Secure Boot option.

You only need to enable the 'legacy option ROM' if you have installed a device that has one. Usually they're found on add-in cards like LAN card or disk drive interfaces so I doubt you'd have one on your laptop.

I'm not sure what the Boot Option is referring to...I'd just leave it on "Auto".

Last edited:

RitSin

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
Choose the UEFI boot option as it offers the most security with a modern OS like Windows 10. Also enable the Secure Boot option.

You only need to enable the 'legacy option ROM' if you have installed a device that has one. Usually they're found on add-in cards like LAN card or disk drive interfaces so I doubt you'd have one on your laptop.

I'm not sure what the Boot Option is referring to...I'd just leave it on "Auto".
sorry I didn't understand

if you have installed a device that has one. Usually they're found on add-in cards like LAN card or disk drive interfaces so I doubt you'd have one on your laptop.

can you bit more?

A legacy option ROM is usually found on an (optional) device that has to take control during the boot process They are found (or used to be) on things like a hard drive controller that you add in to a desktop computer expansion slot for additional drive capacity. The machine BIOS ROM would have to transfer control to it (the legacy option ROM) in order to boot from a hard drive attached to it.

It's easy for a 'root-kit' type exploit to use it to take control of your computer, though, so modern UEFI systems don't often use it.

RitSin

Commendable
Mar 23, 2019
A legacy option ROM is usually found on an (optional) device that has to take control during the boot process They are found (or used to be) on things like a hard drive controller that you add in to a desktop computer expansion slot for additional drive capacity. The machine BIOS ROM would have to transfer control to it (the legacy option ROM) in order to boot from a hard drive attached to it.

It's easy for a 'root-kit' type exploit to use it to take control of your computer, though, so modern UEFI systems don't often use it.
Thanking you

may I know if my laptop already installed with window 7 into legacy mode and want to upgrade to window 10

Thanking you

I'd be wary updating a laptop that came with Windows 7 to Windows 10. Go to the MFR's support site and check to see if it's fully compatible first. Then follow their guides for doing the upgrade. Dell laptops, in particular, can be a problem if they don't fully support the update.

Solution

Latest posts