[SOLVED] What is going on?!? Monitor goes BLACK randomly

Jan 15, 2021
I've been struggling with this for what has to be more than a year now. Randomly while I'm working, gaming, surfing the internet, or the computer is just sitting there with me doing nothing both of my monitors go black with no signal. Everything is unresponsive, however if I'm say watching a video when it happens the video still plays in the background though eventually it does stop. The only fix is to restart the computer. This happens at least once a long session on my computer (so every day).

I thought it might be the monitor, so I bought new ones with new cables and that didn't fix it. I swapped graphic cards with someone and that didn't fix it (old graphics card worked perfectly on the other system as well(. I got a new power supply thinking maybe mine is going bad, that didn't fix it. I'm not sure what's left to do.

The system is built on the P9X79 platform.

I7 4930k (bios reset to defaults so no OC and it still does it)
Corsair H100i cooler
RTX 2070
32GB ram
850 thermaltake PSU
1tb ssd
3tb + 6tb HDD

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
I've been struggling with this for what has to be more than a year now. Randomly while I'm working, gaming, surfing the internet, or the computer is just sitting there with me doing nothing both of my monitors go black with no signal. Everything is unresponsive, however if I'm say watching a video when it happens the video still plays in the background though eventually it does stop. The only fix is to restart the computer. This happens at least once a long session on my computer (so every day).

I thought it might be the monitor, so I bought new ones with new cables and that didn't fix it. I swapped graphic cards with someone and that didn't fix it (old graphics card worked perfectly on the other system as well(. I got a new power...

I thought it might be the monitor, so I bought new ones with new cables and that didn't fix it. I swapped graphic cards with someone and that didn't fix it (old graphics card worked perfectly on the other system as well(. I got a new power supply thinking maybe mine is going bad, that didn't fix it. I'm not sure what's left to do.

Corsair H100i cooler
RTX 2070
32GB ram
850 thermaltake PSU
1tb ssd
3tb + 6tb HDD

Make sure hdd/ssd's are set to never go to sleep.
Make sure power is set to maximum preformance
Drivers fully up to date
Bios up to date

Solution

Tenpinsmick

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Have the same problem, tried new GPU, new PSU, new monitor, purchased a new case now as well and waiting for it to do the same. So bloody frustrating.
I also have the i74930k. If I have to change the motherboard then it will mean new CPU and new RAM.....kinda last things left to change.
Let me know how you get on.

Have the same problem, tried new GPU, new PSU, new monitor, purchased a new case now as well and waiting for it to do the same. So bloody frustrating.
I also have the i74930k. If I have to change the motherboard then it will mean new CPU and new RAM.....kinda last things left to change.
Let me know how you get on.

Corsair H100i cooler
RTX 2070
32GB ram
850 thermaltake PSU
1tb ssd
3tb + 6tb HDD

Try sfc /scannow in cmd as admin

TRENDING THREADS