What is going on with my ASUS?

sarahcconway

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Hi guys... I am horrible with computers, I don't know anything about them. Lately my ASUS K35E has been giving me a lot of issues.
1. It is deleting/corrupting programs (Sims, iTunes) so I cannot run them and get an error message. This started one day when I shut it off (the hard drive goes into a safe drawer or something in the computer), transported it, and turned it on again.
2. Today I went to turn on my computer to reinstall Sims, just to find out that there is an error with my CD drive (it won't even come up in my computer). All I get is an error message: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
3. It has been running slow, making clicking noises, getting really hot, etc, things it shouldn't be doing.
4. The other day I turned it on and logged in, to be told that it was setting up my personal settings. I waited a good 10 minutes and when it finally came to my desktop, my background was changed back to the factory setting.

It's probably done other things that I just can't think of right now or haven't discovered yet, and it's getting frustrating because I really don't want to do a system restore and get rid of everything on my computer, just to reinstall everything.
My mom thinks it's a virus but I have anti-virus software installed (Norton) and I've looked up signs of having a virus, and they don't really seem to fit.

All help would be appreciated, just dumb it down a little so I can understand! :)

Solution

If you didn't get one with your computer, you have a couple options.

1) email Asus and have them send you a copy - it'll either be free or you'll pay for shipping.

2) Install it from a USB stick. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-usb-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/

The second is much nicer, but make sure you...

sarahcconway

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I don't even know how to describe it... let's see... I just looked up the "click of death" on youtube and yeah, it pretty much sounds like that... It's pretty loud, and it's an unusual click. It only happens when I can tell my computer is working hard and the fan is going.

So if my hard drive is dying, what should I do? I know I should backup all my files.
My brother just built his own PC with a friend and that friend gave him a laptop hard drive. What would have to be done to a new hard drive to make it usable? Would I have to reinstall my operating system (Windows 7)?
I'm sorry for all the questions but I am just so hopelessly lost. I can't tell RAM from a hard drive, haha.

Ok, yeah, that's the bad noise. :p

Backup all your files, preferably to a couple places. As for what to do, replacing a hard drive in a laptop ranges from easy (for good manufacturers), to a process that makes you want to kill yourself. (Cough, cough, greedy bastards at Apple.)

If you're lucky, which you likely are, since Asus makes well-designed products, you'll just pop off part, or all, of the underside, and that'll get you at the hard drive. After you've backed up your files, just pull it out, unplug it, pop the new hard drive in (now would be an amazing time to upgrade to an SSD, which to me is a must have in any laptop. It's like night and day), reinstall windows, install drivers and updates (drivers should be on a cd that came with the laptop), install your programs again, and restore your data.

sarahcconway

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Okay thank you so much. I have no idea what the hard drive my brother has is, but I think I may just take your advice and get a SSD, especially since they are better for travel (so I hear) and I travel a lot. To reinstall Windows... how would I do this? Would I need a disk windows disk? How would I go about getting one? I'm sorry I'm so clueless haha

If you didn't get one with your computer, you have a couple options.

1) email Asus and have them send you a copy - it'll either be free or you'll pay for shipping.

2) Install it from a USB stick. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-bootable-windows-7-usb-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-flash-drive-using-windows-7-dvdusb-tool/

The second is much nicer, but make sure you have the disk of drivers for your laptop, or you could end up having a heck of a time trying to find the right ones.

Solution