Question What is Going on With my Monitor

d99

Dec 29, 2022
Hi, for about a year and a half now my monitor which is an msi optixag32cq has been acting strangely. If I leave the monitor without posting a picture for longer than say 10-12 hours whenever I turn the monitor back on I get this View: https://imgur.com/a/hBrd6iR
, now its not a huge problem as this issue usually goes away after the monitor is on and posting a picture for an hour or hour and a half. Regardless of it fixing itself I was wondering if anyone knows whats causing this. Other system specs just in case, msi ventus 4080 that works correctly, ryzen 9 3900x, 32 gb ddr4 3200 ram, any help would be appreciated. I have had this monitor for almost 5 years now, so returning it is not an option, I am trying to use it till failure as I am not in the market for a new monitor right now. I have tested it with a laptop and its the same result

Last edited:
have had this monitor for almost 5 years now, so returning it is not an option
double check the warranty specifications.
some higher quality manufacturers will sometimes include a 10+ year warranty covering certain aspects of their product.
whenever I turn the monitor back on I get this
it looks like some sort of damaged backlighting.
leave the monitor without posting a picture
what do you mean by this?

the monitor is in an "off" state,
the monitor is in a "sleep" state,
or the monitor is on and running while the computer itself is either off or suspended?

d99

Dec 29, 2022
double check the warranty specifications.
some higher quality manufacturers will sometimes include a 10+ year warranty covering certain aspects of their product.

it looks like some sort of damaged backlighting.

what do you mean by this?

the monitor is in an "off" state,
the monitor is in a "sleep" state,
or the monitor is on and running while the computer itself is either off or suspended?
Yea sorry I worded it strangely as I had just woken up, anyways I mean that when the display of the monitor is off for longer than a few hours what I posted in the picture happens. Hope that clears it up, and thanks I had not thought of backlighting and will look up the msi warranty on it, it was purchased in 2018 so that would be great. When I updated windows it switched my power options around so now I have it set so that it will never sleep, I usually leave my pc on overnight for this reason too but obviously it isnt optimal for when I leave my apartment for more than a day

d99

Dec 29, 2022
it happens in either case, in cases were I turn it off completely it takes longer to boot up than the usual hour and a half that it takes from a sleep state

cases were I turn it off completely it takes longer to boot up than the usual hour and a half that it takes from a sleep state
that sucks.
a nicer display can cost quite a bit compared to other peripherals.

but i don't think i could stand waiting over an hour each time i want to use my system and definitely wouldn't be comfortable just leaving it always in full wake mode either.

hopefully MSI will still offer some support.