What is GT/s?

Solution
There is no significant difference between the lower 4.8GT/s vs the higher 6.4GT/s(if you're talking about core i7s). 4.8GT/s provides 19.2GB/s bandwidth to the processor while 6.4GT/s provides 25.6GB/s, unless you can fully saturate 19.2GB/s(with video cards, hard drives, etc.)there is very little difference between them(tested it myself on my core i7 to see if it would do anything).
Gigatransfers per second.
I assume you are talking about Quickpath Interconnect with the new intel processors. haha, "new" meaning 3 years old... the core i7s etc.
I'd explain it myself but actually the first 5 results of google seem pretty good for "quickpath interconnect". If you need any specific information or are unclear on anything, let me know.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=quickpath+interconnect&aq=f&aqi=g5g-m2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
There is no significant difference between the lower 4.8GT/s vs the higher 6.4GT/s(if you're talking about core i7s). 4.8GT/s provides 19.2GB/s bandwidth to the processor while 6.4GT/s provides 25.6GB/s, unless you can fully saturate 19.2GB/s(with video cards, hard drives, etc.)there is very little difference between them(tested it myself on my core i7 to see if it would do anything).

Solution

rajiv1990

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
i saw GT/s specified in the new 890 motherboards as motherboards having 6.4gt/s.
So i was speaking generally.i dont know whether the term is specific with intel cpu s or their motherboards.

Coming to point,the phenom 965 has 4000MT/s and the some intel i series processors have some 4.8GT/s.
i was wondering whether both were specifying something the same things or technology.

i have one more question,is the GT/s dependent on no. of cores or singly for the microprocessor.
(ie.for larger the no of cores greater the GT/s)

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

GT/s is GigaTransfers per second, so it's only how many times a signal is sent per second.
Amd does have a similar implementation as the i7, so it's about the same per GT for each.
No, GT/s is just the bandwidth between the entire processor and the peripherals, GT/s is actually just Ghz X 2 so a 2.4Ghz transfer rate is 4.8GT/s.

advaj

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

So how does one transalate the speed of an interface at 2.5 GT/s into gbps ?

Magadov Valery

Reputable
May 6, 2015
1 GT/s is one gigatransfer per second, thus for 64-bit data bus: 1 GT/s = 1Gb/s transfer speed. So 2,5 GT/s for 64bit bus is 160 Gb/s. But if your bus is 128 or 256 bit wide, rate will be higher.

Related link