[SOLVED] What is happening right now?

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I bought some Windows 10 keys and proceeded to begin upgrading my desktop and two laptops (because they are giving us no choice on the matter) -- and I am feeling like I am in the twilight zone . I've got a 6 core Intel here with a 780 GTX with 16gb of Vengeance DDR4 2133 RAM (system was smoking on Windows 7). Where would I even start, this is just so bad. Even basic things like graphics within browsers and resolution of videos on Youtube is completely off. That is about as basic as it gets, so I have no clue where to start.

Is this a drivers issue? Do I need to manually remove drivers that 10 is installing and then install all manufacturer drivers right down the line on device manager? On my laptops, 10 just flat out fails, then it says it is diagnosing and fixing itself so that it can stay in a boot loop for hours -- is this really happening?

I used the WIndows tool from Microsoft's site to download the OS and then I burned the OS to DVD -- maybe that is the problem? If I had a disc directly from MS this wouldn't be happening? I'm on this 6 core Haswell and I can barely make out what I am typing because the video is off that badly. I hope that this all traces back to one thing like having burned the discs myself, because everything is totally off. I'm getting lag just to bring a cursor up on a search -- clicking the WIndows icon in bottom left of screen sometimes just does nothing and/or lags.

This sounds like a video driver problem. Right-click the Start button and click Device Manager. Look for entries with the characters ? or ! to the left. This would indicate an incorrect driver for that device. You could also look on your graphics card manufacturer's web site for a Windows 10 compatible driver for it.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Sorry, used the term "upgrade" loosely; I did actually do fresh installs (not Windows upgrade). What I continue to see here is hard to fathom -- Nvidia driver installs just flat out fail, etc. Im running on a severely crippled OS right now -- and while the laptops are much worse, that could actually just be due to the fact that the desktop has so much raw power in comparison (cheap laptops, they have quad intels but no discrete graphics) that allows it to override some of these problems.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I will go through those procedures -- but there is more than just graphics issues. The whole OS is just unstable, and on 2 different computers at the moment. Like I had mentioned, the OS keeps finding issues (especially if I run Windows Update), then loops on boot saying that it is trying to fix them, gets into OS then there is bizarre lag and no response at all from trying to open certain windows, etc. But I will do that and come back here when it is done.

Frizzo

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Checking back in on this post. I haven't had the audacity to get in front of my desktop system again, but have been working on my laptop instead (which has suffered similar issues with Windows 10).

Here is what I can say so far, I started really looking at what kinds of things were installed in the Device Manager, and have literally disabled like 8 items that held no relevance to my computer usage -- and with that said, the computer seems to be getting faster and faster and snappier and snappier. So, this is definitely a good sign, and I will continue to look for items that can be disabled.

Previously, just clicking the windows icon at the bottom left of screen, felt more like I was accessing a laggy web site as compared to an internal operating system function.