Question What is happening with my Computer? Faulty PSU?

EriksenDrul

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
This morning i tried turning on my computer and this happens:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzNbqZ7XULk&feature=youtu.be

These are the exact steps i took afterwards
  1. I turned the PSU unit off with the switch on the back
  2. I turned the PSU unit on with the switch on the back and tried again
  3. I turned it off again, disconected the cables from my GPU and tried again
  4. I turned the switch back off again and left for work
  5. I came back after about 4 hours and tried it again, And now it works, Even with the GPU power cables connected
  6. I have done absolutely nothing to the machine or even touched it other than turning it on for the past 2 months
I turn the computer on by the start button on the motherboard
ImgW.ashx

I got an open build so i use that button to start instead of the on one the case

I got no idea why this is happening or what causes it.
My computer automaticly shuts down at 02:00 with Wise Auto Shutdown software (Sometimes i fall asleep while watching youtube or movies)

I have no idea what might cause this, and i have no idea how i can figure it out, And i have no idea if it will happen again.
and in that case, what should i do?

Should i open up my computer and just make sure everything is mounted properly?

I have bought a new PSU since i suspected that was the problem. I have not yet installed or even opened the new PSU.

These are my specs

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Socket-1151
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133MHz 16GB
SSD/HDD: Samsung Evo + Several external storage units
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
GPU:
PSU: Cooler Master V850 850W PSU

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Yeah it looks like a faulty/failing PSU. How old is the unit? You might want to list the specs like so:
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Work with one stick of ram, only the boot/OS drive and the onboard to see if you get the system to power up and go into GUI(for OS).

New PSU's make and model?

EriksenDrul

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
Yeah it looks like a faulty/failing PSU. How old is the unit? You might want to list the specs like so:
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Work with one stick of ram, only the boot/OS drive and the onboard to see if you get the system to power up and go into GUI(for OS).

New PSU's make and model?

I edited my first post and listed the specs.

I am pretty sure the PSU is less than 4 years old. But not far from it.

The new PSU is a CEPTER PRIME 750 W 80+ BRONZE
I have not heard of Cepter before but i did read some reviews and most people are happy about it, and it was the only one they had in store with more than 700W

The thing is, My computer now works, I did a few rounds of Call of duty on it just to check and it runs like it has always done, but the issue i got is the way it behaved earlier today, And after failing to even start it now works like normal without any interference or changes done to the machine, and i got no idea why it suddenly works again. I have not yet installed or even unpacked my new PSU.

Shay Green

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
I edited my first post and listed the specs.

I am pretty sure the PSU is less than 4 years old. But not far from it.

The new PSU is a CEPTER PRIME 750 W 80+ BRONZE
I have not heard of Cepter before but i did read some reviews and most people are happy about it, and it was the only one they had in store with more than 700W

The thing is, My computer now works, I did a few rounds of Call of duty on it just to check and it runs like it has always done, but the issue i got is the way it behaved earlier today, And after failing to even start it now works like normal without any interference or changes done to the machine, and i got no idea why it suddenly works again. I have not yet installed or even unpacked my new PSU.
I have your coolermaster psu but 750w. The exact thing happened to me, it turned on and shut off instantly. I unplugged it flicked the switch checked it was all seated and it still fully didnt turn on.
I left it while i went to school, came back and it worked like normal

EriksenDrul

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
I have your coolermaster psu but 750w. The exact thing happened to me, it turned on and shut off instantly. I unplugged it flicked the switch checked it was all seated and it still fully didnt turn on.
I left it while i went to school, came back and it worked like normal

And you still use it? I dont understand what is happening

Latest posts