[SOLVED] What is HDCP in AMD GPUs?

Mar 8, 2020
So today I was looking around in my AMD's driver options (it's 20.2.2) and I found an option in overrides called "HDCP Supprt" and I can toggle it ON or OFF, I found it at ON...

Many people told me that HDCP support causes lags and stutters in games... but should I disable it? will it help me?

I am using XFX Radeon RX 570, running it from DVI...

And also, I want to know what HDCP support is, and why is it on AMD GPUs, and what does it do?

Solution
HDCP is used in virtually all consumer devices video outputs not just AMD. It stands for "High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection". Basically it is a handshake system between devices that makes sure unauthrozied devices, such as video recorders can't be used to circumvent digital content protection.

I'm not sure if HDCP has any effect on gaming performance, at least I've never heard that it does outside buggy drivers.
HDCP is used in virtually all consumer devices video outputs not just AMD. It stands for "High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection". Basically it is a handshake system between devices that makes sure unauthrozied devices, such as video recorders can't be used to circumvent digital content protection.

I'm not sure if HDCP has any effect on gaming performance, at least I've never heard that it does outside buggy drivers.

Solution
Mar 8, 2020

And should I disable it or not? it makes me feel I am being watched!

And should I disable it or not? it makes me feel I am being watched!

Disabling it means that if you were to try and watch videos that have copy protection, such as Amazon, Netflix etc they may not play and give you an HDCP error, or only be available in SD resolutions. I dont believe games use HDCP in any way so it should't make a difference.

You aren't being watched, the HDCP goes on even in TVs, game consoles, stream boxes etc.

Mar 8, 2020
Disabling it means that if you were to try and watch videos that have copy protection, such as Amazon, Netflix etc they may not play and give you an HDCP error, or only be available in SD resolutions. I dont believe games use HDCP in any way so it should't make a difference.

You aren't being watched, the HDCP goes on even in TVs, game consoles, stream boxes etc.
OK thanks for the answer, guess I will just keep it on then