[SOLVED] What is holding back my pc?

Apr 10, 2020
I am trying to play some games like Modern Warfare, Overwatch and Fortnite. I have a Ryzen 5 2600, RTX 2070 Super, 16 GB 2666 MHz ram. During Fortnite for example I get temperatures and usage percentages of 64 degrees Celsius and 50% for the CPU and 70 degrees Celsius and 60 percent usage for the graphics card. I get about 100 to 110 fps in fortnite, and not at max settings. The parts are not maxed out in the slightest, and I really want to get 144 Hz. I suspect that the slowish ram is the issue, but I'm not sure. Can anybody guide me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Solution
what?
no.
the bandwidth is half is much, but no, the impact isnt that much. even if this is ryzen, on 2666, the ram being single channel should only impact performance by 3-5%, and thats if you have bad luck.

Nope. Running your system in single channel compared to dual channel can be up to 30% performance in some titles. Just look at the video below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nShVZJ5xW0Q

On CSGO it's 100% more fps. From 120 to 240 fps.

Running your system with only 1 stick of RAM for a Ryzen is performance suicide.

The difference between 2666MHz and 3200/3600Mhz Isn't that much BUT it needs to be in dual channel.

I would not be running a Ryzen with 2666MHz RAM to begin...
what?
no.
the bandwidth is half is much, but no, the impact isnt that much. even if this is ryzen, on 2666, the ram being single channel should only impact performance by 3-5%, and thats if you have bad luck.

Nope. Running your system in single channel compared to dual channel can be up to 30% performance in some titles. Just look at the video below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nShVZJ5xW0Q

On CSGO it's 100% more fps. From 120 to 240 fps.

Running your system with only 1 stick of RAM for a Ryzen is performance suicide.

The difference between 2666MHz and 3200/3600Mhz Isn't that much BUT it needs to be in dual channel.

I would not be running a Ryzen with 2666MHz RAM to begin with. I recommend 3000 minimum for a Ryzen 2600. It's a few fps in difference between the two but it's still a few fps.

Solution
what?
no.
Have you looked at any reviews? There are loads of reviews showing 20%+. In this video AoS has about 40% difference, Tomb Raider is 42% and my 25-30% is about the average across the games.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=44&v=a0jb0hCMXfo&feature=emb_logo

This was also an Intel build and Ryzen is more sensitive to RAM performance.

Apr 10, 2020
Thank you all for your help. I built this PC a little over a year ago, my first build, so I was still a noob when it came to part choice. I think I spent too much on the mobo when I should have gotten dual channel ram instead :p. Really appreciate the advice! Just need to save a bit more money as I recently got the 2070. Thank you all!