Question What is holding me back ?

ConnorCoal

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
6000xt
Ryzen 5600x
Msi B350m gaming pro (updated to “beta” bios )
2x8 Cruical 2400mhz ram
Corsair CX 500w psu

I get alot of fram drops and super high temps im using a 1440p monitor and if i turn it to 1080p the picture is so bad. I know i should upgrade just wanna see what exactly . Recently downloaded fallout 76 and my game would freeze and my whole pc would turn off. I changed the power plan which helped but i think its getting way to hot.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A proper GPU model would help.

CX500 is a pretty low end PSU. Depending on which GPU you have, it could be the problem.

What CPU cooler are you using? What case is all this in?

If you have high temperatures, look into better cooling, but that last one suggests power issues to me.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, not as bad as it could be. 6600XT is only 160W full load. Your CPU can draw about 140W at full load, but typical gaming loads would be well below that, but that only leaves 150 or so watts on the 12V rail for everything else. And this wasn't a very high end PSU to start with, if it is more than a few years old you should consider replacing it with at least a quality 550W, but preferably a 650W.

Corsair RM650 is about the best price at the moment, but you might want to shop around.

Case doesn't have great airflow. Are you still using the original front and rear fan? Might be a good idea to get a second intake fan and or replace all the fans potentially.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8QpzK8/arctic-f12-pst-53-cfm-120-mm-fans-4-pack-acfan00260a

CPU cooler should be okay for the CPU, however, you may need to monitor the temperatures on your motherboard. If the VRMs are getting too hot, they could also trigger a shutdown. And the Hyper 212 takes direct airflow away from the VRMs

Reactions: derekullo

ConnorCoal

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
Definitely going to buy the new fans Would a adapter work because im out of fan slots on my mobo. Also would upgrading from 2600mhz 2x8 to 3200mhz 2x8 ram help any (ddr4)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, a splitter for the front fans would work fine.

Ryzen does like faster memory, so that would help a little. You can try overclocking the memory first. If you can get it 2933 or something I would just stick with that. Otherwise pick up a low latency CL16 3600 kit, even if you can only get it to 3200, you could then make a go at tightening the timings down to 14 or so.

ConnorCoal

Commendable
Oct 6, 2021
Yes, a splitter for the front fans would work fine.

Ryzen does like faster memory, so that would help a little. You can try overclocking the memory first. If you can get it 2933 or something I would just stick with that. Otherwise pick up a low latency CL16 3600 kit, even if you can only get it to 3200, you could then make a go at tightening the timings down to 14 or so.

Not to sure how to overclock ram , ive did research but it seems a lil sketch. Also what should my fans be set to in the radeon app.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/1O9jYca

Reactions: Why_Me

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Your fans should be set to noise level that you are comfortable with as long as your temperatures are reasonable.

I'm not much of a memory overclocking expert, and I haven't owned a Ryzen chip yet. Sometimes it is as simple as increasing the memory speed and keeping the timings the same, but generally you have to make the timings larger (loosen) to increase speed. Increased memory voltage is also sometimes required.

The most common reason that memory is somewhat easy to overclock is that the memory produced is all quite high quality, particularly at the end of a DDR lifecycle (DDR4 is there), but to meet sales volumes for a particular price point the good ram is used to make mid-range kits. If they can sell 100 high end kits and 1000 mid-range kits, but have 800 good chips and 300 mid-range chips...then 70% of the mid-range memory is identical to the high end stuff. Basic example, and the binning process is much more complicated, but that is the jist of it.

I have a 3200 kit that runs just fine at 3600 using the same timings. 3200 CL16 becomes 3600 CL16 with practically no effort. Just had to put the timings in manually.