[SOLVED] What is Hyper Transport. And how high should i overclock it to.

lordtristan28

Reputable
Feb 4, 2018
Hi, So as the title suggests what really is Hyper Transport, Can someone explain it to me? What does it do, And what data does it carry.
I get that there is a "FSB" speed, That is from the cpu to the north bridge, (I have a AMD phenom II x4 840T) and everything else, But what does hyper transport do. Does it carry data from the south bridge to the north bridge? Can someone please expain, I've looked online for hours trying to figure it out but i can't find anything that makes any damn sense,

On my next question, How high should i go for the HT link speed in bios? I have it at 2250 mhz right now in bios and at base its 2000. And its stable and everything, But can i push it any higher? I know that doing so usually results in noticeable snappiness well gaming or just simply using the desktop, And i would love to upgrade to ryzen, But right now i'm 16 and am unable to get a job yet, So i wanna try to push this chip as far and it will go before i need to upgrade.

Thanks for any help! And if i made any mistakes please correct me, I strive to learn more and more everyday! Thanks!

Solution
What are the full system specs? Trying to get a higher overclock can damage the CPU, if you can't afford to replace it if you damage it, keep it as it is. Gaining another 5% speed is not worth having a dead system if the overclock damages the CPU.
What are the full system specs? Trying to get a higher overclock can damage the CPU, if you can't afford to replace it if you damage it, keep it as it is. Gaining another 5% speed is not worth having a dead system if the overclock damages the CPU.

Solution