What is it with all the Phenom "sucks" responses....

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

serelaw

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2007

I stand corrected :0 :hello:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I came up with that analogy when I knew a Mac fanatic who was into Dianetics!

It's still my view that ATI will be the salvation of AMD. Swift is the wave of the mainstream future. I can see budget 45nm Swift at 1.8 gigahertz and 45 watt with one 3450 core and 3 Phenom, mainstream Swift at 2.4 gigahertz 45 watt with one 3650 and 3 Phenoms, and enthusiast Swift at 2.8 gigahertz and 65 watt with one 3850 and 3 Phenom cores -- which hopefully will scale well to 45nm.

As long as it works alongside RS780 in power saving mode and in Crossfire with a discrete ATI card equal to the CPU integrated core, that will be fine by me. Dinosaur GPU's need to die out, and not every CPU needs to get to 4 gigahertz on water for a company to be both profitable and forward looking.

I'm still an AMD fan, but you wouldn't know it from the faint praise I did in my post on Thunderman's thread.

Where's 3ball? Does he still think the 6000+ is superior in all ways to the Phenom? Just more respectable to put in one's signature (I can't wait!), since the Phenom isn't working out as well as AMD hoped. It's just not as bad as old X2 fans and Intel fans make it out to be.

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Wow...I don't look in the forums for two days, and all of the previous threads that turn into Intel vs. AMD have been refreshed with new ones! It just doesn't stop...does it?

Everyone has their own needs which is followed by their budgets which is the deciding factor of their purchase. If they are looking for a quad core and only have $200 to spend, they will most likely go AMD. If they are looking for a cheap dual core (something for internet use/typing), they will go with AMD. Two different companies offer products for different needs. Stop bashing and do something else...seriously. There is an outside world...that may come as a surprise, but try to harness it before it's all wasted.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

Now that was big wasn't it...
I'm assuming that was an American Football chant...?? - Not American, don't know what you're talking about.
It's good to see a mature response though (although I was very tempted to drop to your pathetic level...)
Oh and as the fact that I suck besides being an AMD fanboy, why else do I suck?
Tell you what, junior, come back and argue with the big boys when you grow a pair....

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

How's the coaching situation? Oh wait... Let's not start an NFL debate around here. I'm glad he did cry though, if he hadn't you'd be destroying your brain trying to think of something to make fun of them for this year. They fell apart after Green Bay, it happens.

We all know Phenom is horrible in Synthetic benchmarks. I'm hoping the 4x4 comes back with the B3s (it won't though) and I could get a 4x4 platform with dual 3870X2s (or R700s).

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

I didn't want it to be a flame war and generally, I think it didn't...
There were a few replies that were, but in general I think there was some useful discussion, although several replies (including the one 2 above yours) were just pointless.

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

As I said, it was lost on me.... (the crying quote)
Oh well, I'll try not to cry ;)

One query though, why would you want the 4x4 system?
I'd be terrified of going near something they dropped so quickly (and quietly) before...
Not that I think it makes a bad system! :)

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Who wouldn't want (if they perform well) two Black Edition Phenoms on a Motherboard with 4 GPUs? (and seriously, no need to have 100 replies of "PHENOM SUCKS.")

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007

If you were insinuating that such a comment would come from me, then perhaps read who started the thread ;)
That is indeed a fine idea, sign me up if 4X4 comes back.
I was pretty tempted by 4x4 with two of the higher (FX-74's if I recall correctly) clocked CPU's, but the cost was pretty high (over here, £200 per CPU & £200 for the motherboard i.e. equivalent $1200) and didn't they use fancy RAM as well?
I can't remember, but I don't think it was FB-DIMM ECC... Just recall something bizarre about it!
It was a hell of a lot of money... the heat & power consumption didn't really bother me though.
8 CPU cores, 8 GPU cores & say 16Gb RAM (I mean, there is no reason to be silly...) ;), I like it already.... :D :D