What is livecomm.exe and how do I remove it?

iboycott

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
My computer has been freezing a bit recently and under my resource monitor there is this livecomm.exe that uses a lot of my cpu. When i try to disable it, it just starts back up again saying its suspended. Any idea what this is and how to remove it?

iboycott

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

I dont even see a messaging app.

alissa_914

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

I found this link:

https://messengergeek.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/how-to-stop-the-built-in-messenger-from-signing-in-on-windows-8-consumer-preview/

This worked for me. I'm using an old Inspiron Duo 1090 and Win 8.1 was painful to use because this process would use up to 30% of the CPU unless I downgraded the priority. By turning on the firewall and adding this entry to the firewall, the process can't use Messenger (still don't know where this process is but if it's with Mail, I'm assuming that it's because I have PUSH notifications on or something) and the CPU usage drops significantly.

Now, it hovers like it did with Windows 7 at about 10% CPU usage for most things.

Jul 18, 2015

Wow :O THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH Alissa!!!!!!! This process was consumming about 50% to 60% of my CPU (Yes, 60%) and it won't close, even if you click "details" and "kill process tree", it starts itself again and again, it's a painful headache, the guy who created this thing should be arrested!!! I killed that process using your link and the command line included at the text and immediately my CPU consume decreased to 3% to 4% (Yes, astounding :O)... Thank you very much again, you saved my virtual life!!!

Michael_5

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Clear the lockscreen apps and turn off notifications and it returns to the purest experience with just the desktop (Windows 7) open.