Question What is M.2 Slots in my Motherboard ?

Jan 23, 2020
I have this B450M MORTAR MAX but i was wondering those 2 M.2 slot what kind of ssd can i put there ? I don't have any idea about NAND and NVMe thing. Can someone enlighten me about those 2 types? and which is compatible to my M.2 Slots ?

m.2 slots can run either SATA or NVME...some will run both types.

m.2 drives come in a couple of different lengths so you have to buy the one that fits your slot length...typically the primary slot is 2280 length...the secondary slot may be shorter.

NVME drives are much faster than the SATA types...typical NVME speeds range from 1500-3000mbs while SATA drives typically top out at 500-550mbs.

I run an NVME drive for my OS and a second SATA m.2 drive as my game disk...it makes for a pretty fast system.

NAND is the flash memory in any SSD. There are several types of such NAND flash chips, like SLC, MLC, TLC, QLC. Most common is TLC or a mix of SLC and QLC. QLC is the slowest.

NVME is a PCIe connection,
SATA is SATA

Your motherboard´s specification:

AMD® B450 Chipset
  • 1 x M.2 slots (M2_2, Key M)
    • Supports PCIe 2.0 x4 2242/ 2260 /2280 storage devices (NVME)
AMD® CPU
  • 1x M.2 slot (M2_1, Key M)
    • Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics) or PCIe 3.0 x2 (AMD® Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics)and SATA 6Gb/s 2242/ 2260 /2280 storage devices

1. PCI_E4 slot will be unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed in the M2_2 slot.