Question What is McAfee DLP Endpoint?

rubez

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
This software recently installed on my system at work and when Windows starts I get a pop up saying "this device is being monitored". Seems a bit sinister. Am I being spied on?

Google Chrome no longer works since this was installed, even with a reinstall. I installed Vivaldi and that seems to work fine (foiled!)

Does anyone know what this software is?

Ask you company´s administrator. Most likely Chrome is prohibited to reach the net from the company´s network.
If you install software on your own, be sure it´s really safe and always up to date and isn´t against your company´s rules. It could cost your job!

DLP stands for data loss protection
it´s designed to track data which could be transferred to a mobile storage device or stolen or similar
https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-ca/products/dlp-monitor.html

Reactions: Ralston18

rubez

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
I was using Chrome for years now it stops working same day as this McAfee software is installed.

I would say Chrome and Vivaldi is safer then Internet Explorer which is the default browser.

Ralston18

Titan
@rubez

Because of privacy laws, security requirements, ever-growing hacking threats, and data theft many companies are being forced to increase security measures.

Loss of data can lead to loss of revenues, lawsuits, customer goodwill, and undo media attention.

Per @helpstar's questions and suggestions you really need to take the problem to your company's IT folks. Or whoever made the McAfee installation decision(s).

Are you sure that there was not some "Memo" or notice sent out? If so, read and do not ignore.

You may indeed put your job at risk by attempting to install other software or otherwise work around security measures.

And there may be little recourse available to defend your actions however deliberate or innocent.