What is more important, Response time or refresh rate?

Thegame741

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
I want a gaming monitor and im wondering what should is more important for a smooth screen: Response time or refresh rate?

Solution
Both normally go hand-in-hand, etc you can't find a 144hz display with a poor response time.

If you're gaming, a good response time (and input lag time) is important, normally go for a 1-3ms response time on a standard 60hz monitor for gaming, if you're buying a IPS display, then it's pretty normal to only get 5-7ms, which isn't too bad either.
Most 144hz or 120hz monitors come with a 1ms response time, the higher hz is a big plus in FPS titles, but not really in any other genre.

So if you play alot of FPS games, go for a 144hz > 60hz 1-3ms response > 60hz 4ms+ response
If you're not playing FPS games, then you should skip the 144hz, the fast refresh rate tends to mean poor color accuracy, so going for a IPS screen if you want amazing...

NiCoM

Honorable
Both normally go hand-in-hand, etc you can't find a 144hz display with a poor response time.

If you're gaming, a good response time (and input lag time) is important, normally go for a 1-3ms response time on a standard 60hz monitor for gaming, if you're buying a IPS display, then it's pretty normal to only get 5-7ms, which isn't too bad either.
Most 144hz or 120hz monitors come with a 1ms response time, the higher hz is a big plus in FPS titles, but not really in any other genre.

So if you play alot of FPS games, go for a 144hz > 60hz 1-3ms response > 60hz 4ms+ response
If you're not playing FPS games, then you should skip the 144hz, the fast refresh rate tends to mean poor color accuracy, so going for a IPS screen if you want amazing colors, or just going for a 60hz display which normally is quite a bit cheaper than a 144hz one.

Personally i have a 60hz 2ms response, been just fine for me and i play quite a few FPS titles, though i've heard that if you play FPS games and try a 144hz screen, you'll never go back again. ;)

Solution