Question What is more likely to cause this system crash?

Jun 25, 2019
specs:
cpu: i7-6700K/PH-TC14PE 140mm UFB
mobo: ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151
gpu: evga gtx 1080
psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000
ram: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB
os drive: SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB

My hunch is cpu or mobo because I've swapped the gpu and the crashes still occur. It's a full system crash usually with a electrical crunch and the monitors freeze often with gliched graphics from the gpu being forced off. Other times the ethernet port will stop working, but the computer wont crash. The pc is ~4yo and the crashes have been happening on and off for about 3 years or so. CPU temps rarely get above 65c peaking occasionally depending on what i'm doing at 75c. Crash and port failure frequency increases with at least cpu temps, if not overall temps. I don't see any visual issues with the board and I've taken out and reinstalled everything with no luck. Sometimes I can go a week or two without a crash but when it crashes if I re-open most of the same programs it will usually crash again.

Has anyone had issues like this? What part should I try replacing first?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Full system crashes with artifacts on screen are usually GPU issue. However, since you've replaced the GPU with another one (unless it has the same issue as previous GPU), i don't think your hardware is in fault. Instead, i'd look towards software since that's the one that is crashing.

Unless you want to go through very long and tedious process of finding out which piece of software is causing the conflict, formatting OS drive and re-installing Win is the fastest and easiest way to fix your issue. Also, once you have clean Win install and you start putting programs back one by one, make a note at which point your system starts acting up again, if it ever does.

g-unit1111

Titan
If you can boot into Windows then I'd rule out the motherboard and CPU immediately. Sounds like it could be a PSU failure but you do have a top tier unit. By process of elimination then I would point fingers at your power source, and if you can find another power source to power your PC then I would try that first.

Jun 25, 2019
Formatting the drive and reinstalling windows didn't fix the issue. I've got a second drive for games and miscellaneous stuff would I need to format that as well?

Other than that I'm looking at trying a new PSU when I get the chance?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
With clean Win, it's not the software issue (unless you have corrupt OS drive).

Here, trying with another PSU could fix your issue but i'm skeptical about it. Mainly because PSU doesn't cause artifacts on screen, instead, you'd see instant shut down or reboot when PSU is acting up. Still, it doesn't hurt to try and it helps to narrow down the problem.

Another thing which could be the issue is RAM. Bad RAM can cause plethora of issues, including program crashes and artifacts on screen. Running Memtest86 with few complete passes would tell if you have bad RAM or not. Since it runs off from bootable USB drive (which you need to create 1st), you can test your RAM out without booting into OS,
link: https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Jun 25, 2019
Formatted my drive and ran memtest86, a full pass found 0 errors and it still crashes. I was already willing to replace the cpu so should I try a new psu first? Maybe I'll try unplugging other drives and seeing if the crashes occur with just the formatted c drive

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't do no harm just running your PC with OS drive, so, try that.

Also, try with 2nd, known to work PSU to narrow down the possible culprits since there can be lemons even among best. 650W PSU would be more than enough for your PC with single GTX 1080.
E.g: Seasonic Focus 650 (80+ Gold), Focus+ 650 (80+ Gold), PRIME Ultra 650 (80+ Platinum) or PRIME Ultra 650 (80+ Titanium),
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/WrNypg,qn7v6h,7fndnQ,fnjJ7P/

Warranty wise:
Focus: 7 years
Focus+: 10 years
PRIME: 12 years (includes all PRIME models: regular, Fanless, AirTouch, SnowSilent, Ultra)

All 3 of my PCs: Skylake, Haswell and AMD are also powered by Seasonic. Full specs with pics in my sig.

Also, PRIME Ultra 650 (80+ Titanium) is the best 650W PSU money can buy at current date and with it, you'll get the highest efficiency (92%), tightest voltage regulation (0.28%), longest hold-up time (30ms), lowest ripple noise (14mV) and longest warranty (12 years) there is. Fully modular cables and toggle-able Premium Hybrid fan control too.
specs: https://seasonic.com/prime-ultra-titanium
review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=536