[SOLVED] What is my best GPU upgrade option for 100+fps gaming at 1080p?

Jun 25, 2019
I'm looking to get into high refresh gaming preferably at ultra settings. I don't think I'll be able to realistically run all graphic intense games at 144Hz so my goal is to find a GPU that runs them at 100fps+. Some of the games I'm looking to run at these frames are Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Middle-earth: Shadow of War, DMCV, Divinity Original Sin 2, and Resident Evil 2. I mostly play RPGs and open world games.

My budget isn't hard capped as I'm more interested in hitting my target frames. That being said would I be looking at buying Vega 56/64, GTX 1080, or RTX 2060/2070?

Current Setup:

I5 6600k @4.6Ghz

R9 Sapphire Nitro 390x

EVGA Supernova 750w 80+ Platinum (power is not a concern either)

If I need to give more information please let me know.

Solution
The RTX cards might be a very good upgrade option, RTX 2060/2070.

But, do NOT buy/upgrade any GPU as of now, assuming you can wait for some more time. Because Nvidia is soon to release "refresh" models of the existing RTX series, dubbed as SUPER series, and these might offer much better price/performance ratio, though we can't say this for surety, but they are indeed faster than their previous counterparts..

Also, the AMD NAVI mainstream GPUs are just around the corner as well. These might also be worth looking into.

But, do NOT buy/upgrade any GPU as of now, assuming you can wait for some more time. Because Nvidia is soon to release "refresh" models of the existing RTX series, dubbed as SUPER series, and these might offer much better price/performance ratio, though we can't say this for surety, but they are indeed faster than their previous counterparts..

Also, the AMD NAVI mainstream GPUs are just around the corner as well. These might also be worth looking into.

Solution
Jun 25, 2019

Thanks for the reply. I can definitely wait 2 weeks. If either competitor have less than stellar reviews I can always look to previous gens for my needs.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I'm looking to get into high refresh gaming preferably at ultra settings. I don't think I'll be able to realistically run all graphic intense games at 144Hz so my goal is to find a GPU that runs them at 100fps+. Some of the games I'm looking to run at these frames are Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Middle-earth: Shadow of War, DMCV, Divinity Original Sin 2, and Resident Evil 2. I mostly play RPGs and open world games.

My budget isn't hard capped as I'm more interested in hitting my target frames. That being said would I be looking at buying Vega 56/64, GTX 1080, or RTX 2060/2070?

Current Setup:

I5 6600k @4.6Ghz

R9 Sapphire Nitro 390x

EVGA Supernova 750w 80+ Platinum (power is not a concern either)

If I need to give more information please let me know.

Each of the above would be a close wash speed wise at stock. The RTX2070 > AMD Vega 64 cards > GTX 1080 on most DX12 titles. So you might want to look at frames / dollar using popular benchmarks and pricing. Vega 56 can run as fast as a 2070 with power mods. Also if you like games with Gameworks, then stick with NVIDIA.

I would rule out the 2060 because of the 6GB memory limitation. The 1080 and RTX 2070 might clock to 2GHz. The Vega 64 can overclock decently as well, but not without power mods and some good cooling. Undervolt the Vega 64 and then crank the power limit with custom cooling (similar to Vega 56) The Vega 64 also has less frame rate variation. HOWEVER VR support isn't as good.

Jun 25, 2019
Each of the above would be a close wash speed wise at stock. The RTX2070 > AMD Vega 64 cards > GTX 1080 on most DX12 titles. So you might want to look at frames / dollar using popular benchmarks and pricing. Vega 56 can run as fast as a 2070 with power mods. Also if you like games with Gameworks, then stick with NVIDIA.

I would rule out the 2060 because of the 6GB memory limitation. The 1080 and RTX 2070 might clock to 2GHz. The Vega 64 can overclock decently as well, but not without power mods and some good cooling. Undervolt the Vega 64 and then crank the power limit with custom cooling (similar to Vega 56) The Vega 64 also has less frame rate variation. HOWEVER VR support isn't as good.
I've been looking around and I honestly might go with the used market. The RTX 2060 is $380 new while on the EVGA website there is a B-stock 2070 for $400 right now. The Vega 64 can be bought for around $310 used. I have not looked at the 64 benchmarks as thoroughly as I have the others so I have no idea if it's a good option for me. What I do know is the price/performance from the used market looks too good to pass up. Especially when it's from an authorized retailer.

As it stands now I'm leaning towards the EVGA 2070 B-stock for $400. It cuts out the stress of buying from a complete stranger(s), at a cheaper price than what those sellers are currently peddling ($450), and it satisfies my use case which is steady 100+fps gameplay. I'd like to buy the Vega 64 because competition is always nice but I can't ignore the good deal in front of me. As I told Metal Messiah I'll wait the 2 weeks for the new benchmarks but I'd be lying if I said the 2070 wasn't tempting.