[SOLVED] What is my next upgrade

JacobiOneKanobi

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
My system is a rtx 2060 i5 9400f with 32gb of ram, a 500gb ssd and 4tb hard drive. I don't feel like I need to upgrade but I wanted to play Ark, and it just can't get it out. Any suggestions?

Solution
Minimal difference between the 2060 and 5700xt, it'll free up some fps at the current settings, or increase some settings at the cost of that fps gain. Meaning you'd get med-high at same fps or higher fps at med-low settings. A 2070 Super would get you med-high at the increased fps.

But that's a $500+ investment for some game details.
The 25% increase going from a 2060 to 5700XT is minimal difference? Don't forget the 2070 Super is only 30% faster than the 2060. That means that both the 5700XT and 2070 Super will allow for increased setting while keeping the same or getting more FPS than with the current 2060. Note that doesn't mean that I would spend the money to go from a 2060 to 5700XT or 2070 Super as the gain isn't worth...

JacobiOneKanobi

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
I have been seriously thinking about basically building a new computer. I plan to either upgrade to the i5-9600k vs the i7-9700k. This upgrade will decide whether I upgrade to the rtx 2070 super or the rx 5700xt.

My current specs aren't very important in this scenario as I'm am practically upgrading everything, but currently I have a i5-9400f, rtx 2060, and 32gb of ram. All in the Asus stric b450-f motherboard
It's relevant in that we have an idea of whether there are reasonable upgrade options available without replacing certain other components like the motherboard. The 10-series processors might seem like reasonable options, but they are not compatible with existing motherboards.

In your case, I don't think there's much point in upgrading your CPU, especially to one with the same number of cores and threads, as the performance gains will be imperceptible in the vast majority of titles. A stock 9600K is only around 10% faster than a 9400 in CPU-limited scenarios, and in most games it will be the graphics hardware limiting performance more than anything, so even with something like a 2070 SUPER running at 1080p, the processor upgrade wouldn't improve your average frame rates by more than a few percent in demanding games. At a higher resolution like 1440p, there would be next to no difference in performance. Even the 9700K wouldn't be that much of an improvement, as most of today's games won't make much use of the extra cores. At this time, the 9400 is still a rather good processor for gaming, even if something with more cores and threads might be desirable for the future.

As for the graphics hardware, that's likely to make more of a performance difference in demanding games, but what you need depends a lot on the resolution and refresh rate of the screen you are gaming on. At 1080p an RTX 2060 should already work rather well in today's titles, and even at 1440p it should be reasonably good. If you are targeting higher frame rates for a high refresh rate screen, you might potentially want something more, though keep in mind that a 2070 SUPER is only around 30% faster than what you have. Personally, at this point, I would wait to see what Nvidia's next generation of graphics cards has to offer later in the year.

JacobiOneKanobi

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
I'm going to bonk you over the head and tell you that upgrading from a 2060 to 2070 Super is a waste of money. Not that I can stop you or anything. xD

Thank you for the opinion. I feel that I rushed into making this build as I was excited. I also currently have a 3440x 1440p monitor, so my main game is modern warfare, and running it I gotta stay at about medium-low settings.
I've also been looking at the rx 5700xt since it seems to perform better while being less expensive.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Minimal difference between the 2060 and 5700xt, it'll free up some fps at the current settings, or increase some settings at the cost of that fps gain. Meaning you'd get med-high at same fps or higher fps at med-low settings. A 2070 Super would get you med-high at the increased fps.

Thank you for the opinion. I feel that I rushed into making this build as I was excited. I also currently have a 3440x 1440p monitor, so my main game is modern warfare, and running it I gotta stay at about medium-low settings.
I've also been looking at the rx 5700xt since it seems to perform better while being less expensive.
I’d wait until 3000 series is out later this year. The upgrade your suggesting doesn’t seem worth it and to be honest even a 2070 Super/5700xt are a bit weak for 3440x1440. 3000 series should give a greater jump in performance for X budget.

JacobiOneKanobi

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019

Thank you for helping.

JacobiOneKanobi

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
So currently I have a i5-9400f rtx 2060 and 32gb of ram. I have a 3440x1440p monitor so for games like call of duty I have to have the setting low. I want to upgrade, like really upgrade big. I also want to try streaming, so I have been thinking about taking the ryzen path. I don't know wether to upgrade now or wait for new gen parts to come out. the 10gen intel chips don't seem to out perform the 9th so I see no point there. Can I get some people's opinions?

For now, try setting your monitor resolution to 1440p or 1080p instead of that resolution (use 16:9 if that monitor is not)
and bump up the resolution.

you have new or atleast modern mid range parts, so an upgrade really isn't gonna be THAT big of a jump even if you buy all new top of the line stuff.
Personally, i would wait to get an rtx 3000 series (rumoured to be launching in october/september)
your cpu is good enough it won't bottleneck any gpu you throw at it, and while it might slow down a little with streaming, its good enough for streaming now (especially with the nvidia nvenc encoder) that i would not bother upgrading it to a higher end ryzen just yet.
intel is rumored to quickly release 11th gen as soon as possible, and 4th gen ryzen is overdue, so think about that.

The 25% increase going from a 2060 to 5700XT is minimal difference? Don't forget the 2070 Super is only 30% faster than the 2060. That means that both the 5700XT and 2070 Super will allow for increased setting while keeping the same or getting more FPS than with the current 2060. Note that doesn't mean that I would spend the money to go from a 2060 to 5700XT or 2070 Super as the gain isn't worth the cost. Also the benchmarks that Tomshardware did for the 2070 Super and 5700XT 1440p Ultra or higher resolutions.

Solution