[SOLVED] What is my old system worth?

Jul 12, 2020
I have a spare PC and I plan to sell it. What would be a fair price (in USA)? it has:

This is a decent non-gaming and non-hardcore CPU work PC. The only negative is the graphics can't do more than 2048x1536, so it wouldn't work on a 4K TV. I'm pretty sure someone who buys a PC like that.

the only comparables i found are refurbished HP/Dell PCs with DDR 3 (only 8GB) with Core2Duo CPus and no SSD. so not really comparable.

Would it be better to part it out and sell the parts? I'm afraid that someone who buys a mobo-CPU-RAM combo and is able to install it, isn't the person who would buy such old stuff. I never sold parts, but also think with a complete PC it is easier to show the buyer that everything works. with just parts, that may be hard. I only had sold PCs to relatives or friends int he past, so there wasn't the problem that I was a stranger they wouldn't trust. It looks like these days the PSU would be the most expensive part.

I could have a need for just the SSD and keep it and just sell it with the HDD. Would that make any difference in price?

Solution
You might get $120.
The case is a dated style, the psu is ancient so pretty worthless, the i3 can be had for $8. SSD's are quite cheap nowadays, so that's pretty minimal, maybe $20.

The most valuable pieces would be the ram ~$50 and the motherboard ~$60(for the right person). If it were to be sold as a system the price would be lower as it's competing with prebuilts with i5's.

You can try to peddle it at $150 but you will likely have to drop it to ~$120.
You might get $120.
The case is a dated style, the psu is ancient so pretty worthless, the i3 can be had for $8. SSD's are quite cheap nowadays, so that's pretty minimal, maybe $20.

The most valuable pieces would be the ram ~$50 and the motherboard ~$60(for the right person). If it were to be sold as a system the price would be lower as it's competing with prebuilts with i5's.

You can try to peddle it at $150 but you will likely have to drop it to ~$120.

Solution
Jul 12, 2020
Thanks for setting me straight. I may just keep it around until a friend or relative needs it. Or use it as spare donor (i.e. my PSU dies and while I get a new one, I use this PSU for a week).

I'm a bit hesitant to sell parts since the prospective buyer doesn't have a way to test. And it is also possible they screw up Installation, and then blame me I sold them a faulty part. With a complete PC I can show them it all works, and everything after that is their responsibility. I personally wouldn't buy used parts. I saw on facebook DDR3 Ram cost as much as one can get much faster DDR 4. Like $50 for 16GB Corsair DDR3. Still slower than lower brand name new stuff.