Question What is my problem? Mobo? Ram? Neither? HELP!

Sep 8, 2020
Let me start off with my build:
  • Mobo: MSI B550M pro-vdh wifi
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • GPU: MSI GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS XS 6G OC
  • RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL15 2x8gb
  • PSU: Corsair CX Series 550 Watt
Everything brand new.
I started off by having issues installing Windows 10 right from the get go. I could get to my BIOS fine, but everytime I booted from my flashdrive, it wouldn't take long until I got stuck on a boot loop for no apparant reason. I took it to a shop that was also not able to install Windows. They tested all hardware individually, and said all worked fine. They advised me it could be a bad mobo, but I switched my ram from Corsair to the current HyperX thinking it could be the issue, and it worked!

I got Windows 10 installed. My problem now is that Windows will just randomly reboot. When I say randomly, I mean completely random. Sometimes I will be gaming all day for 2 or 3 days with no issues, sometimes I will be on Word or browsing the web and it will reboot 4 times in an hour long period.

I tried changing the ram timing, I tried flashing the BIOS to the newest one available, I tried using different versions of drivers. I ran stress and diagnostic tests on my ram (Windows Memory Diagnostic, Memtest86, and Prime95), cpu (Ryzen Master), and gpu (Heaven), all passed fine. I am at a loss about what to do now.
It rebooted again today, so I went into the BIOS to maybe get some idea on what to do next, only to find this:
View: https://imgur.com/a/73ChHQj

There are 3 languages in my BIOS that I've found this far. Spanish, English, and some other language I cannot identify. I tried restarting it and change the language to find no result. What the heck is going on? Any ideas on how to fix the rebooting and the language issue? Any help is appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is the PSU a grey labelled CX550M or the green labelled unit? See if a donor PSU that is reliably built with more wattage(650W) than you currently have changes your experience. How did you fabricate the bootable installer for the OS? Can you remain in BIOS without incurring a reboot?

What about your storage? If your build has fans(and ARGB/RGB) connected to it, remove them, except the CPU fan(that's necessary to cool the processor).

Reactions: lernapongas
Sep 8, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Is the PSU a grey labelled CX550M or the green labelled unit? See if a donor PSU that is reliably built with more wattage(650W) than you currently have changes your experience. How did you fabricate the bootable installer for the OS? Can you remain in BIOS without incurring a reboot?

What about your storage? If your build has fans(and ARGB/RGB) connected to it, remove them, except the CPU fan(that's necessary to cool the processor).
Hi, thanks for answering!
My PSU is the grey labeled one.
I user the process and tools straight from the Microsoft website to create my bootable flashdrive and the Windows image.
As a rule of thumb, yes, I can remain in BIOS without rebooting.

I may take my machine to be diagnosed by a professional, as I have thought about the PSU as well or maybe even irregular power from my outlet (older home), but have no way of testing it.

I appreciate your answer, if you have anything to add for the time being, please do so!

Sep 8, 2020
UPDATE: The motherboard appeared to be defective. I bought an ASUS X570 in place of my MSI B550M, and as soon as I unmounted the MSI motherboard, the bracket that holds the CPU fan in place simply fell off. It appears to me that the bracket was not glued properly by MSI, and when the computer ran the fan probably made the bracket move and disturbed the CPU. At least that would be my best guess. If anyone is willing to send me the original packaging for my MSI B550M pro-vdh wifi , I would really appreciate. I threw mine away when things were working well(ish); now I need it to return the mobo and don't have it. Let me know if there is anyone willing to send me one, I'm willing to pay shipping and maybe compensate with a small monetary value to show appreciation. Thanks!

UPDATE: The motherboard appeared to be defective. I bought an ASUS X570 in place of my MSI B550M, and as soon as I unmounted the MSI motherboard, the bracket that holds the CPU fan in place simply fell off. It appears to me that the bracket was not glued properly by MSI, and when the computer ran the fan probably made the bracket move and disturbed the CPU. At least that would be my best guess. If anyone is willing to send me the original packaging for my MSI B550M pro-vdh wifi , I would really appreciate. I threw mine away when things were working well(ish); now I need it to return the mobo and don't have it. Let me know if there is anyone willing to send me one, I'm willing to pay shipping and maybe compensate with a small monetary value to show appreciation. Thanks!

Unfortunately the box isn't only a box. It has stickers on it from the product you bought. The serial number etc. If you ship your product with someone else box it won't work. This is why you always keep the packaging for the time of the warranty.

I'm sorry I don't know what you can do. Maybe communicate with them.

Sep 8, 2020
Unfortunately the box isn't only a box. It has stickers on it from the product you bought. The serial number etc. If you ship your product with someone else box it won't work. This is why you always keep the packaging for the time of the warranty.

I'm sorry I don't know what you can do. Maybe communicate with them.

That's what I'm going to try to do. As far as I can see on their website, it seems like all they could do for me is repair the mobo, which wouldn't do me any good since I already have another one. I guess the next best thing would be sending it in, getting it fixed, and selling it for less than what I paid. What really upset me is when I was trying to troubleshoot it and kept coming back to the mobo being the issue. I contacted MSI to see if there was anything else I could possibly do to diagnose the issue and maybe not have to send the board in, but their customer service was ridiculous. Dude was really freaking rude and basically said "I don't feel like helping you, I don't want to get someone to help you. Send the board in if you want, if not, get lost." Hopefully they can do something for me, or else I will try my best to steer clear away from MSI. The board being defective is not a good thing, but I understand these things happen; not having good customer service, especially when your client may have something defective and is really trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, is what really makes me irk. Well, lesson learned. Keep your boxes, kids.