What is needed to max crysis??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
So now, my pc is a core i5 dual core, with 12gb of ddr 1333 ram, and an asus radeon hd 6950 video card.

I'm connected via hdmi to a 46" 1080p HDTV

And Crysis ONLY runs SMOOTHLY on low graphic settings.

What the hell?

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
actually. Lol. I up the settings, turn on AA 8x, and at the top of the screen, there's a transparent bar. The graphics are in it, you can see a bar though at the top of the screen

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
morphological filtering caused the bar and some lagginess. other than that, I enabled all other settings on the gpu, turned on triple buffering,
Went IN game, turned on vsync, 8x AA, 1080p high settings.

It's stupidly ridiculously good looking.

lol yeah right that is way overkill not to mention that the res is higher than what the op is using, cool video though, looks like the guy has another rig with 4 gtx 580s even though that makes no sense to me but go ahead waste your money

Well it's not going to game better than many other, significantly cheaper options. The scaling isn't going to be good at all. I'm just saying it's a waste and the only reason to do it, the only reason - is to show off. Much like driving a Ferrari in northern climates with long cold winters. It's not like you can ever really stretch it's legs, it's just to show off how much of a baller you are. In fact most of the people I see driving nice cars are terrible drivers to boot.

I agree, hey, if it's just a drop in the proverbial bucket, why not spend all that cash for fun? Sure, why not? But realistically it's just not a good option. If I was going to drop thousands and thousands on a PC, I'd top it out at dual ASUS ARES. It's known that CF and SLI don't scale very well past 3 GPUs, and dual 5970s are already at 4 and notoriously have issues even at that number. Going up to 12 GPUs couldn't possibly work well and no matter what game you're playing, no matter what CPU you have, it's going to be bottlenecked either CPU or bandwidth wise at that point. It's worse than the Ferrari analogy. At least you could hit a deserted highway in summer and have some fun. The PC's only way to show off would be topping out a PC Mark score chart or whatever. Otherwise, most of that power is useless and unuseable even at his super high resolution.

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Completely agree. this is also why i avoid the top end video cards and paying extra. 300 dollars is a good limit and a 6950 is pretty awesome. when prices drop, ill upgrade to an i7 later and a dual 6950 setup, and it'll be good for the future. :)

^+1 totally agreed plus anything above his 60hz refresh rate is useless