What is needed to max crysis??

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
So now, my pc is a core i5 dual core, with 12gb of ddr 1333 ram, and an asus radeon hd 6950 video card.

I'm connected via hdmi to a 46" 1080p HDTV

And Crysis ONLY runs SMOOTHLY on low graphic settings.

What the hell?

Didn't you know? Crysis is one of the most demanding games ever programed. Even though it was released in 2007, current hardware have trouble playing at max settings. See following benchmarks of current high-end single GPU core video cards matched with an Intel i7- 980X Extreme Edition.

04_crysis.png

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd6970-hd6950_7.html#sect4

I suppose dropping in another HD 6950 in XFire mode will help if you wanna stick with max settings. An i7-980 should also help as well.

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
and so would 900 dollars for a core i7/mobo and another one of these 6950s. :)

If i get a 24" 1080p monitor (like I'm going to) wouldnt the smaller display go to higher resolutions easier?

I'm very iffy about overclocking. I don't want to burn my expensive hardware up.

I do have an asus 6950 that is the one that's factory OC to 810mhz vs 800....also have an asus mobo...is there any safe/easy oc that would be worth it for my gpu or cpu?

The i7-980X alone is over $1,000. You'll have to add more for the mobo.

1080p = 1920 x 1080 no matter what the size of the screen. Playing games on a 22" 1080p monitor and a 100" 1080p screen will have the same performance.

810MHz vs 800MHz is not a significant OC. You can opt to mod your HD 6950 to a HD 6970. Just Google it. Be aware there is a small chance you will brick your video card.

cmsvmylo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
i have a phenom II 555 3.2HHz 4GB RAM, an ATI HD4890 1GB DDR5 and the gameplay is fluid at max settings with no slowdowns although i haven't tried it on a 46" display...just perfect. my first guess is to check your drivers and update the game

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
Ha. I like the last reply mosox. true indeed. money would solve a lot of problems.

cmsvmylo im surprised you can run it on a lesser pc like that...when i mean smooth i mean silky smooth. When i up the graphics it gets so visual intensive it seems to slow down. and i bought the game as a direct download so i figure it would be updated?

Does crysis warhead run any easier?

By the benchmark shown above, and from personal experience, it's quite clear that something is wrong on your system. You should be able to play smooth at very high, or at the very least, high settings.

Don't go out and buy an i7 system. An i5 system is just as fast in games. Assuming you have a 4 core i5.

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
i dunno. dual core core i5 not quad core.

just went in, game is version 1.1.something

hit optimal settings at 1080p, game set everything to high.

the tv is a 60hz panasonic 1080p tv.

went into gameplay, looks good, until i move, then its choppy choppy choppy.

One of the most harsh settings you can set in Crysis is AA. On a single 5850 I was running Crysis at High settings, 1080p, with 2xAA fine. Very high slowed down, and 4xAA was REALLY slow. Now I have two 5850s in crossfire. I run the game fine at Very High settings, and 4xAA works too unless I zoom in it can get a bit laggy.

So for max settings, at the absolute least 2x 5850s or similar performnace. A 6950 is better than a 5850, but not as good as two. I should think with the 2GB RAM tho High settings and 4xAA would work.

Oh my cards are also overclocked a lot (700/1000 to 870/1200)

Well, that leaves something wrong with drivers, PCIe slot, game patches, or something else.

I play Crysis at 1920x1200 with a 6970 and an i7 smoothly at very high and x2 AA, or high and x4 AA. I also require more FPS than most people to be happy.

Playing at low to get smooth play means something isn't right.

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
I really think its this 60hz tv. Very large display area for all that graphics. my computer runs smoothly, and the game does too now, after updating crysis and the gpu drivers, but there's choppiness along the screen. I think that's what it is.

There's no way my pc isnt capable enough. I just dont think so. If anything, the 2core i5 is the slowest part...especially with 12gb ddr3 1333 memory on board...

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
The game runs smoothly, but the graphics gets choppy. 60hz is on the lower end, and I've noticed larger displays take more. I know how resolution works but Tvs also have to have game visual enhancements, pan n scan, its own graphics chip, etc. Game runs smoothly, but it's displayed choppy.

Pisses me off because starcraft 2 runs on ultra just fine.

Yeah just cuz it's 40" doesn't make it more demanding. The display is only showing so many pixels, in this case 1920x1080. The same resolution on a 24" monitor will take just as much GPU power. The main difference is that the pixels are a lot smaller on the monitor, and will therefore look a lot more crisp.

60hz is basically the standard for all tvs/monitors except for the 3D TVs and I guess plasmas.

Maybe you have Vsync on?

I just noticed something.

You have an ASUS card. Did you install the ASUS software with that card? I found GamerOSD and/or Smartdoctor caused Crysis to run extremely poorly. As soon as I uninstalled the ASUS software, it ran great.

you have vsync enabled? are you expririencing screen tearing? is there a settings you need to adjust on the tv itself to correct this?

Anastrophy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
HA ITS FIXED!
Thank you soo much all of you!

Smart doctor (ASUS) didnt install for some reason, only gamer OSD did. I uninstalled gamerosd per the recommendation above.

Also, I had to update Crysis, and I got a whole bunch of new options like Vsync and I turned that on. WHEN I turned vsync on, (which was before I uninstalled gamerosd)
The screen tearing went away. There'd be like 1-3 lines thru the screen. that's gone
And then when I uninstalled Gamerosd, the lagginess/choppiness went AWAY.

I also have an ASUS motherboard, with the egpu and expressgate and other asus exclusive things on there to turbo the mobo so to speak. Should I delete these too?....since the asus crapware on my gpu slowed it down? Would it follow the same pattern?

Again, bottom line, Crysis is fixed. Thank you. Now, I gotta go into my catalyst control center and up those settings since they're all just on default right now. :)

TRENDING THREADS